Is this a legal award booking?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Singapore Flyer, Jan 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe the following booking is legal as it has only one stopover on the way back.

EWR-SEA(UA), SEA-ICN-TPE(OZ) (destination for 3 days), TPE-NRT(Stopover via OZ for 5 days), NRT-JFK (NH in Y or OZ in C ).

There is about a two hour connection at SEA. Am I doing something wrong? It won't price on UA website. Errors out. I want to try and book it if we go with the NH direct in Y. The other option is to use USDM if we want the long way in C.

Am I misunderstanding the rules or is it just UA's website forcing me to call in to the agents?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope it's legal.

You will have to call United to get them to price this properly.

3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    DIG/R_1K, Thanks for the quick response! Now, I'll let the wife decide which she prefers. This is part one of our two 10-year anniversary trips. hopefully she'll appreciate the hours logged looking for these flights. :D

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd highly recommend AVOIDING UA flights if possible and going with other Asian carriers for a better experience in the C cabin! Also... If you're inclined to do so and can find inventory to go via Europe and try LX C instead. ;)

daboogah and Singapore Flyer like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has the best routing rules when it comes to award tickets.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Been looking daily. Unfortunately we have set dates with very little wiggle room due to my wife's schedule. She has deadlines surrounding a two week windows in may. Also babysitters (my mom) aren't cheap to schlep the kids to the bus and picking them up. The only thing that works is getting onto the Asian airlines via SEA. The LAX/SFO options don't have availability either.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you check EVA? Their availability doesn't show up on United.com

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I have not. would i use ANA to check?

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't show on UA.COM yet but reservations agents can look it up regardless. :)

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, because they are not a *A partner.

And keep in mind that EVA uses a different award chart from *A when redeeming from United. That may preclude you from using them with other *A partners to produce a r/t itinerary with a stopover.

I also would say that the UA metal isn't all that awful and, in the OP's proposed itinerary only EWR-SEA is on UA metal which is better than the alternatives available on that route. I'd waitlist for the UA non-stop EWR-NRT or even EWR-SFO-TPE and skip the ICN detour if the trip is after the TPE service resumes. You'll get the flat bed and a mediocre meal and then you can fall asleep. Nothing all that wrong with that plan.

11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed recently that UA.com doesn't seem to allow award bookings that used to be bookable that included a stopover and open jaw. Not sure if they are doing stuff to break it but it is only wasting our and theirs.

Like DIG said, call and hope you get someone competent. If you don't, hang up and call again.

Singapore Flyer and daboogah like this.
  12. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    nooo brainer to take the OZ product in C. GF and I flew the OZ c product a few weeks back and coming from her (17 year CA for NH and a three cabin chief) was nothing but compliments on how much better the OZ product was. I've flown NH twice in business and once in first last year between SFO-NRT and LAX-NRT and I have to admit, its dropped off A LOT.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    If I can waitlist I wouldn't mind. Not sure an overnight layover is a good idea an waste of hotel in Seoul.

14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    That's pretty high praise. Thanks for the comments. My wife did fly OZ on business and enjoyed it. I'll wait till another time for NH.

daboogah likes this.