Is This a Good Strategy for AMEX Points? (Air BnB)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rmcintoshtraveler, May 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. rmcintoshtraveler

rmcintoshtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    It looks like Air BnB will only let you choose one of the following: Pay with gift card / or use a promo code at checkout. I can use my AMEX points for a $250 Air BnB gift card at a 1:1 points conversion but then I cant use a promo code on top of that.

My question is: Can I book Air BnB with my AMEX card (regular transaction without points), apply a promo code at checkout, and then pay my AMEX bill with the points? Would that purchase be eligible for 'pay with points'? Will I get a 1:1 ratio on this?

Is there a list of what your allowed to pay for with points with AMEX?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    MR points are worth less than a cent when used for "pay with points".

3. rmcintoshtraveler

rmcintoshtraveler New Member

Status Points:
    Okay good to know. What about CUR points to pay with points? Are they 1:1?

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Chase Ultimate Rewards cash out at $.01 each.

I find the best values from both programs come from transferring the points to airline or hotel programs. The economic argument there is that the airline and hotel loyalty programs get to buy seats/rooms at a serious discount, which leaves more room for you to get value. But then there are the headaches of dealing with the programs.

As a rule of thumb, you can get the best value out of airline programs, especially if you would otherwise be buying premium cabin tickets (or last minute tickets or otherwise expensive tickets), but availability will be limited. As another rule of thumb, the value in hotel programs is not as extreme, but it's nearly always available - most of the programs let you redeem for any room, any time.

So it may boil down to your travel preferences. If you're content with a random 3-4 star hotel, use priceline (etc) for hotels and the points for airfare.

We each have our own strategies. I don't often say "this is a vacation on which I will use points". Instead it's "I want to go to XYZ this week, and tickets/rooms are stupidly expensive; let's see if I can use points". If fares/rates are sane, I often pay cash. I have done at least one "let's use points" trip, but it was mostly about using credit card free nights + some Hyatt points+cash awards to stay at some plushy places. And I still bought the air tickets for that trip.

Mikus33 likes this.