Is there, like, nothing to do in White Plains, NY?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Jun 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I will be staying outside of NYC the night before we pick up our teenage daughter from a program at Fordham. We wanted to stay at a place on the Metro North line, which runs right by the Fordham campus, far enough out of the city to avoid most of the traffic problems but close enough that we can ride the train in to get her without it taking too much time. White Plains looked like it fit the specs perfectly, and I've never been there before, so new experience.

However, in looking up things to do there, it seems like there's just a few pizza parlors and mid-range restaurants listed on Tripadvisor. Is White Plains just a dull, boring bedroom community for NYC, or is there something worth visiting while we are there?

Also, while I have the attention of the NYC mavens, should we expect any problems crossing the Tappanzee Bridge from west-to-east during the middle of the day on a Friday? We'll be coming from the Finger Lakes region, and I expect that we will be hitting White Plains about three or so.

Many thanks for all info. -DA1

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is nothing to do there. With a car you can get to plenty of nice outdoor stuff in 30 to 60 minutes driving (Hudson Valley, Storm King Art Center, Pepsico Sculpture Gardens, Rye Playland). I have no idea why anyone would want to stay in White Plains except for business reasons.

Tapan Zee may have started construction. I'll be traveling over it around that time (opposite direction) this Friday and will try to remember to update you.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing worthwhile in White Plains that i know of is taking flying lessons at HPN, which is where I learned to fly airplanes. That, and only that, is the redeeming value of White Plains for me. I agree about Tarrytown. I have spent a few fine weekends there in years past. A few minutes further North takes you to Greenwich and they surrounding area, which has some pleasant aspects as a place to stay. Were it me, I'd take the train into the city, stay there and commute to Fordham on the subway.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    Wow, no diversity of opinion on this one! Tarrytown is on a different branch of Metro North, so would have to come into the city and then back out to Fordham. Also, I can use Marriott points to stay for free in White Plains.

Thanks to all for the info. I think we'll go ahead and stay in White Plains, but just use it as a base for some exploration up-river. We'll only be there one night anyway. They say they have a secure parking garage. We have been warned that we should NEVER take our car into The Bronx, and that's why we want to stay out-of-town in a place that has access to the Metro North Harlem line. I hope that White Plains is at least superior in that regard.

Thanks again to everyone. -DA1

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone is feeding you a line. Much of the Bronx, Riverdale for example, is upscale and very pleasant. As in any huge urban agglomeration there are bad places, but entering The Bronx does not cause instant mayhem!

DCAview and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    About the Bronx and cars. I go to the Bronx often and with a car that has MA plates (that's the thing about NYC - out of state plates not great). However I go to Arthur ave to shop for and eat Italian food (you should try it as it is not far from Fordham ). I park in the muni lot across from Cosenza's fish market. Never have had a problem. THE RULE in NYC -anywhere - is DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT MAY HAVE A VALUABLE in the car and lock your car.
    On Arthur ave eat at Pasquale & rigolleto's.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca, IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree! Just use common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are some ideas they are all in Yonkers but relatively close to White Planes and in newer developments far away from the locals:
    Stew Leonard's if you like to take a gander at upscale grocery stores:
    http://www.stewleonards.com/locations-hours/yonkers-location-hours

Whole Foods Yonkers - in a new upscale mixed use development building within the last few years with mid/high range chain restaurants and shopping, this is not the most exciting whole foods store - which is surprising because its the newest that we have visited:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/yonkers

Website for the upscale Mall that Whole Foods is in:
    http://www.westchestersridgehill.com/dine/

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course, saying that HPN is in White Plains is like saying the New York Giants play in, well, New York. :)

I've never really considered HPN a part of White Plains proper. Definitely not getting there walking from downtown.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I drive in the Bronx (all parts) all the time (I live a stone's throw away in Harlem and my daughter's high school is in the Bronx). There's no reason not to take your car to the Bronx although the traffic can be very, very slow. Also, if you stay overnight in the city parking can be as much as a hotel room elsewhere, and street parking is often not practical (unless you're here on a weekend).

Fordham University itself is adjacent to the Bronx Zoo (spectacular), the Bronx Botanical Gardens (spectacular), and Arthur Avenue with its old school Italian market, cheese stores, butchers, and pastry shops.

DCAview, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Echo previous sentiment that you're fine with a car in the Bronx. Use your head and take your valuables with you, you'll be fine.

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not named "White Plains" for nothing! ;)

15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you leave your keys in the car, then thieves won't need to break a window to steal it. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    true enough, it's six miles or so from the centre and anyway it was Harrison, Purchase and North Castle anyway so White Plains was not even part of the name. Still there is the odd pilot that calls "White Plains Tower" rather than "Westchester Tower" and nobody gets confused as long as they are reporting a visual over the Tappan Zee or The George Washington Bridge. Bizarrely, since it is trivia time, helicopters inbound from the East River sometimes report the Washington Bridge and HPN tower types know where it is, even if everyone else thinks it is the George Washington bridge, which they report crossing northbound if they are on the Hudson River VFR corridor.

Still, there is nothing to do in White Plains.

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thats not true- there is something very interesting that you can only do in White Plains: You can leave White Plains.

Betty Boop, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should have known you'd have had a creative and entertaining activity to do when you're there.:cool:

Betty Boop, Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Peekskill is about a half hour away and is a great little town.

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I honestly had no idea. Figured it was some really bad attempt to squeeze White Plans into the abbreviation. Your explanation makes much more sense.

jbcarioca, Gargoyle and Newscience like this.
  21. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, though if you mean the White Plains Marriott, I can't think of anything nice about to say about it. The lounge isn't even open on Sunday night though if you complain they'll give you a bottle of water, an apple and a cookie to make up for it. Unless things have changed, of course -- I stayed a couple of years ago and have no intention of returning if I can help it.

Newscience, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not mine. It is the official HPN explanation as conveyed by Panorama Flight Service, one of the FBO denizens of the field, who show this story and old photos on a bulletin board near the pilots lunge.

Wandering Aramean and Newscience like this.
  23. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    OK, guys, I stayed in White Plains. I was surprised that it is somewhat upscale. While the town may be a rather bland suburb, it has a decent shopping core and some good sidewalk cafes. I always felt safe there walking the streets, which is saying something. Decent mid-range restaurants were plentiful, and the hotel room was a nice corner suite with a kitchenette. Plus, when it came time to go home, it was an easy shot across the river and south. If I had to do the same thing again I'd still consider staying there. The worst thing was the $18 train fare to Grand Central.

Many thanks for all the information and input. This forum is one of the best. -DA1

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy and surprised that you found White Plains a good place to stay. I admit to a prejudice against it, based mostly on being a long-time user of HPN, where most of the pilots claim to detest White Plains even though many who are working pilots for pay do live there. those who have their own aircraft seem to live in the city, as I did, in Connecticut or the adjoining upscale Westchester towns. So, I am forced to admit, my White Plains perspective is fairly jaundiced. Thanks for setting me straight!

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    White Plains has grown up a bunch since I lived in that area. It's certainly a lot better than it was. I always enjoyed the proximity to HPN and the multiple ways to get into NYC. There's not a lot of great local dining but there are a couple bagel places I still miss dearly. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.