Is there any way to renew a us passport in less than 2 weeks

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, Nov 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive just discovered that Ive scheduled travel such that I will not be in the US without need for my passport for 2 weeks, nor will I be staying in any country 2 weeks or more before i need to renew rhe passport:(
    Since some of the countries require 6 month validity Ive got to solve this before the end of Jan. HELP

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the State Dept. offers a rush service for additional $60.
    http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another alternative is to get a duplicate passport. That will allow you to travel while one passport is off getting a slowly issued visa.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the problem is that even with the expedite fee they dont guarantee less than a two week procesing!
    I can take my pp to an embassy in the US on Dec 19, but I am leaving on the 31 and with Xmas not sure it will be enough time. all the reports I have reqd of short turn arounds were prior to 2011. has anyone real life experience recently? the person i spoke to at an embassy told me ""I should arrange to be someplace qt least 2 weeks"

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    how is it pssible to get a duplcate? The Malaysian embassy told me they would hold the new pp for 90 days, but if I wont be back there. applying for renewal requires that I sent my pp with the app and even with the expedite fee and overnight they dont guarantee return in less than 2 weeks A duplicate would solve the problem!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are quite simple procedures. Basically you must state a need for a duplicate passport. Extended visa application times are acceptable justification. There are many expediters. One of them is this one:
    http://usapassportplus.com/duplicate_passport.html

Googling "duplicate US passport" will give you many of them. If you're not in a big rush you can do it through the US Consulate if you're abroad or any US post Office too. It costs the same as a replacement passport. BTW, you do not need a visa for entry to Malaysia for stays of less than 90 days, business or personal. I have been going there on my US passport for a long time, always for business. They do enforce the 6 month validity sometimes and not others, so either a duplicate or the expedited issuance is important.

MX and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experiences date from 2010 and earlier, but I've seen same-day and next-day issuance at passport agencies in the US. In the 2010 case, there was a typo, and the document was regenerated while we waited. So I'm optimistic that this is possible. Whenever you're in the US and near an agency, just make an appointment, take a printout of your next travel (showing travel within two weeks) and pay the fees.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the process changed in 2011 so that all passports now are physically issued from a single central location. Last year my spouse renewed, a process that formerly was showing up at the US Consulate on the appointed day and time with required documents and waiting an hour for the new passport which was printed locally. She waited two weeks for the new one to arrive. Right now I must renew mine, for the same reason as the OP, and I am informed that I must wait for a minimum of ten days because the application must be sent to the "central location" and sent from there to the US Consulate, then to me.

I understand the same process now applies in the US, but I do not know. The expediters seem to have a way around that within the US.

10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    One more suggestion: also get a passport card. The same expedite fee covers both.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 2007, I got a US passport in one day. I went in the morning, filled out the application and then went back in the afternoon to pick it up, following a brief interview to explain why I needed the passport (lost the old one and I needed to leave the country on business). The requirement for this same-day service was that one had to go physically to one of the regional State Department offices that are authorized to do this. For Eastern USA, the office is in Philly, to where we drove from NYC.

Again, this was in 2007 so I am not even sure if the service is still available. I think that I paid $150 for it.

12. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was ~5 years ago, but I had mine done in under a week with expedite fee paid.

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone, prior tp 2011 I too got a renewal IN a day or 2, but now it seems things have changed. I know I dont need a visa for malaysia, I just happen to be here for almost 2 weeks and was hoping to renew, but they couldnt guarantee it would come back before i leave.
    the new "central" processing must be for some reason, but it makes no sense to me, nor why if I apply in Malaysia I can keep my passport until I get a new one, but in the US i have to be without it until a new one is issued

14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just renewed my passport in Los Angeles and I was able to pick it up in three days. I don't know if you can get to one of the issuing offices, but if so you can do that provided you set up the appointment in advance and have proof of travel.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the big book and the turn time non-expedited in October was a week literally from sending it out to getting an new one.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again. so I called the US line (which wasn't open b/c when I first posted) and they said yes if I go to an office (which I can) it will be issued in less than 2 weeks (which contradicts other "official" information I have been given :( But what IS encouraging is that there are many Yelp reviews (which I normally don't trust much, that have quite a few people getting a passport quickly at the SF office so my hopes are up.