Is there any way to get points for buying a car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by disambiguous1, Feb 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I have enough credit to purchase a car with my Visa cards, it certainly wouldn't pay to do that because of the interest charged. My wife and I are with Marriott Rewards and United Mileage Plus. I need a new car. I'm with an organization that can get a deep discount on a Subaru, and one of their models would fill my needs exactly. Does anyone know of a way to gain United or Marriott points with Subaru purchase? Many thanks for all info. -DA1

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall someone saying something about this earlier... I think most dealerships would frown upon you using a card for a large portion of the payment because of the fees, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

And as long as you pay the cards off right away, what's the harm in loading them all to the brim? Assuming the dealer allows it.

If you're referring to financing a car however, your options are limited. You can use Chargesmart to pay with a credit card for a fee, or use cards to buy vanilla reloads, put the money on a Bluebird card and use their billpay.

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, most car dealers will let you put up to $5000 of the purchase price of a new car on a credit card. Of course, this can vary a lot from dealer to dealer. My suggestion is to ask and see what they will let you do.

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they let you pay a certain amount with a credit card, just know that you aren't getting the best deal you can. They're building the CC fees into that price.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    Too bad Continental Subaru is in Alaska. If anyone spots a dealer doing that in the Washington, DC area, please let me know! -DA1

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are shipment services that would do port to port or ship anywhere from Alaska to the lower 48.

It's not cheap though, and it would increase the cost of getting the miles, even if you pay for shipping with a mileage earning card.

The average I saw from Anchorage to New York was $2,500. I'm sure to DC it would be slightly higher.

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read about dealers "swapping" cars with other dealers when they don't have the exact model a customer wants, which typically involves the dealers transporting cars. Perhaps this dealer can arrange a "swap" with a dealer 3000 miles away, and then transport the car to you rather than themselves.

9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I bought our current car, the dealer let me put the $5000 down payment on my AMEX card, and I got the MR points for the purchase. That was AFTER I had bargained with the salesman over the price of the new one, and agreed to the tradein value of my old car. I called AMEX first to be sure they were aware of the charge in advance, and I paid it off in full when it hit my next statement.

The dealer then had to arrange a swap with another dealer about 20 miles away to get ours with the color and options we needed.

miles and smiles and Counsellor like this.
  10. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of someone buying a car with AmEx. The only FF program I can think of that offered miles for buying a car was AY for buying a Volvo in Finland.

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can charge as much as the automobile dealer will permit, and your credit card limits will allow. Use of an airline co-branded card gets you miles with that airline. Use of the United Club card gets you 1.5 miles per dollar charged, and there may be other credit card deals available for other airlines, YMMV.

However, as the OP mentioned credit card interest, I'd say that anyone not paying off the card immediately, and therefore letting the credit card interest accumulate, loses the value of putting charges on a card to accumulate miles as intended. It would likely be less expensive to simply buy the airline ticket, and consider it a separate purchase from the automobile.

blackjack-21 and TravelBear like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about buying a car, or taking out a loan for one? If the former, interest should not be a factor...if the latter, then this is more about miles for bill pay.

13. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like others have said I guess that pretty much depends on the Dealer. But Me personally when they asked for down payment check i advised that was doing via credit card and in my Case was 10K on AA Amex which at the time was running a Double MILES onpurchases with no cap:D.

14. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The times I bought a new car the Dealership would only allow you to put $5000 on a Credit card.
    So I did.
    College on the other hand. My daughters school allows full payment on CC with NO up charge. And college cost about the price of a car.
    I've talked with others that said there schools charges you extra for CC payments.

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would use the AMEX SERVE, and give the dealer a few 3rd party heck, he may hold the vehicle for 3 days, but you will have the points.

Last vehicle 5,000 went on the card.

16. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    IME most dealer will permit you to charge a "down payment" to seal the deal. As noted above the amount varies depending on the dealer but usually ranges from $3000-10000. It is not build into the price as it is never part of my negotiations until I reach the desired price.

If a dealer will not let you charge $3k-$5k I would threaten to walk. Most savvy dealers are not willing to lose a deal over a small % of the price.

blackjack-21 and satman40 like this.
  17. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    The assumption that I would be paying off the card before any interest accrued is accurate (though amazingly enough, I do have enough credit to charge an entire car, if I felt like paying 15% interest on the portion I couldn't pay off immediately, which I don't). I'll see if I can do the down-payment thing. Many thanks for all the info and ideas. -DA1

miles and smiles likes this.