Is there any benefit for keeping all flyers on same reservation?

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by Sean Colahan, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know with legacies if you want upgrades for any of your party traveling with you, one must have all people on the same reservation. I was wondering if it matters or has any benefits/consequences for having each member of the traveling party on separate reservations (one benefit I could see is that the mobile check-in and boarding pass would actually work.) Thoughts?

gregm and Newscience like this.
  2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there is an equipment change or the need to rebook you because of a missed connection, you will not be seated together if you have separate reservations.

Equipment changes seem to be a frequent occurrence on United recently. And winter weather can play havoc with anyone's conncections.

Sean Colahan, gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, in the event of IROPs you want everyone in the same PNR, so that you can all be treated as a group. Not just equipment change, but in the event of a cancellation and you have to get rebooked, you all go together.

If you're on separate PNRs you can easily get rebooked on separate flights, different routes, etc.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, more often than not, also easily fix it. :-:

I don't really see too much compelling to worry about single or split PNRs.

Sean Colahan and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You say that, until Delta tries to send you on one flight and your wife and toddler on another one 5 hours later :)

It's relatively easy to fix -- sometimes -- but it's still a pain to have to deal with it. It doesn't help much when you get rebooked and lose seat assignments -- especially when you're traveling with a toddler and now you have to beg other passengers to seat togehter -- but at least you're guaranteed to be on the same plane.

Sean Colahan, WilliamQ, gregm and 2 others like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:

Agreed. I think you carry more weight as a group/family as far as IRROPS are concerned. A bunch of guys going to a bachelor party wouldn't care, but if alternate plans have to be made, a family wouldn't want to split up.

7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've sometimes travel with my two kids (4 and 6) and I totally agree that staying together supersedes any other perks one might have with split PNRs.
    The only exception I can think of is when the group is not 100% sure of the travel details e.g. I might be travelling for business and my wife and kids are eager, willing but "tentative".

8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the thoughts and insight.

viguera, WilliamQ and gregm like this.