Is there an Elite Economy Seating Section on LH intra-German/European flights?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Canadi>n, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I've flown LH on flights within Germany and intra-Europe in economy. I had four flights last month and have a few more coming up in the next few weeks. On all these flights I found myself automatically seated in the first few rows of economy (I've booked either as an Air Canada SuperElite or United 1K so my STARGold status registers in LH's system) and on all but one (I changed my seat when doing OLCI to an exit row a bit further back) and had either an empty centre seat or no seatmates at all on narrow body Airbuses. These flights were by no means empty, as further back they were packed in.

So does LH assign the first few rows of economy to STARGolds (even Silvers) and endeavour to keep middle seats empty?

Must say, I am impressed by the new economy service, catering and seats. IFE is another matter, but in these days of iPods and iPads, and on shorter flights, one can self-cater!

2. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first few rows of eco can only be reserved in advance for LH FTL, SEN, HON and star Gold AFAIK. Also LH usually assigns those seats to the same range of elites beforehand opening the flight for general checkin.

Blocking the seat next to you (as "last off" seats) is AFAIK only an unpublished benefit for LH SEN and HON and is not always working properly. My experience is that on nearly full flights as SEN or HON you actually have better chances of a free seat next to you if you change your seat to one of the last rows of the plane as it seems that they fill up the middle seats from the front to the back on full flights.

Canadi>n and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for responding. Will see how seating works on my IST-FRA segment next week.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is wishing you luck it works out- however in my experiences it is hit and miss enough to be considered "random".