Is there an affordable Hyatt Hotel near EWR, Liberty?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Thomask, Mar 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am very unfamiliar with the area but do have a 20 hour layover. I found a ton of Hotels nearby, most of them even provide Shuttle but would like to stay at a Hotel of the Hyatt chain. I do not want to spend a lot of money on Taxi either. Any advise, anyone?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really possible via a hotel-provided shuttle. There are some with reasonable (but not great) mass transit options but you'll have to decide for yourself if the rates are affordable or not.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We love the Hyatt Jersey City and have always taken mass transit (though provided by a mish-mash of agencies) to get there. NYC views beyond compare, great breakfast and customer service. Some times of the year prices can be really great. Alternatively, we have sometimes found it more affordable (and appetizing) to rent a car at EWR, drive to a suburban Hyatt property for the night, and return the car to EWR in the morning.
    One more alternative: $12 (IIRC) bus from EWR to Grand Central station, right next to the Grand Hyatt. back out the next day.

4. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I put in Newark for some reason Columbus, Ohio comes up. Google maps does not work 90% of the time in the country where I am presently. I found that the HR Jersey city must be the closest but do not want to pay more than $150 or points.

5. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I will check into the option for the GH next to Central station. I am too scarred to drive in NYC. ;-)

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck finding rates lower than $150/nt for either property, except possibly during a holiday weekend.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not fast or pleasant, but you can get to the Jersey City Hyatt by taking NJT bus #62 from EWR to Newark Penn station and then take PATH to the Exchange Place station. That hotel is fairly convenient to Manhattan so it can have Manhattan pricing, usually cheaper on the weekend unless there's a wedding or conference.

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try tunneling through someplace with less network filtering. There are countless commercial VPN services, typically only costing US$5-10/month. It can be fun to watch your google results come up in Czech. And these services are handy for watching baseball games on mlb.tv that are blacked out in your local market.

If you're tech savvy, you can set up your own VPN server on an AWS EC2 node. The free pricing tier, available for a full year, should be enough to let you do basic web browsing. Zero dollars out of pocket.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Scared or not, there is no reason for you to drive making that trip.

With 20 hours at Newark I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice limiting your visit based only on where one hotel brand is. That's a ton of time to get into NYC, explore and have a grand adventure. And the hotel chain you stay in should probably only be a tiny chunk of that.

11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a category 4 hotel, so the points cost is reasonable, and it is also redeemable with the free night from the Chase Hyatt VISA, if you have that.
    You might also check the Points + Cash option, to see if it's available.

12. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:

I hear you. Very good point indeed.

13. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long does the IIRC bus from EWR to Grand Central station take? (the one that cost's $12) Do you remember? Thanks!

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    30 to 60 minutes depending on the time of day.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the one we took: http://coachusa1.reachlocal.net/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp
    We had a great experience, but the Yelp reviews are all over the map. The price is $16 one way; $28 round trip. You might check Super Shuttle prices, as well. There are discount codes out there for Super Shuttle. If you haven't taken Super Shuttle, it can be a good experience, but at least with the Airport Express bus you know there are a limited number of stops. Super Shuttle will stop wherever someone has booked a ride to. Trains might sound like a good idea, but I think it involves three different rail agencies to get from Manhattan to Newark, so it can be a bit of trouble, and still costs about $13. But, it's more likely to adhere to a fixed schedule, which might be crucial for your return to the airport. Perhaps bus one way and rail return?
    Do you really only have 20 hours on the ground? Will you have to pick up checked luggage, and will it be accompanying you on your trip?

16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    One train, plus the airport monorail to get you to / from the train station. The train will take you to Penn Station in midtown, quite a convenient location -- although you would have to hoof it a bit to get to the Hyatts around Grand Central station.

But, please note: If you take the train, you will take the monorail to the Newark Airport train station and get on a New York bound train. You want to get off at Penn(sylvania) Station in New York. Confusingly, you will first pass through Penn(sylvania) Station in Newark. Don't get off in Newark by mistake -- stay on the train until the last stop in New York.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    HIGHLY unlikely. I would avoid them pretty much at all costs in NYC.

18. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

19. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for detailed answer. Actually after checking my ticket I have less than 20 hours, 16 to be precise. I am planning to call Hyatt GP today to see if I can book the Hyatt Jersey city using points and cash. Rates are about $400 the night I would like to stay. It seems this property is closer to EWR and easier to get to. I will have luggage with me and I have only been to NYC once.

20. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for helpful advise!

21. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The views of NYC, especially at night, are gorgeous. The breakfast is great. It's pretty easy to get to. Staff is friendly. If no points + cash available, I have used points alone, as well, and found it a good value.

23. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind Exchange Place is closed on the weekends until later in the year. You'd have to exit at Grove Street or Newport on weekends and make arrangements to get over to the hotel (and the WTC line is not running weekends).

View of lower Manhattan from the hotel in December:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Jenny & Curt and IDGflygirl like this.
  24. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all for helpful advise. I booked cash and points and look forward to my 1 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. I will be flying into EWR around 6pm and then out of there the next day.

Thanks, sorry I do not know what exchange place is...

25. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exchange Place is the PATH station that is right next to the hotel & typically PATH is the way one would get to the HR JC via public transportation (as described by prior posts). Without a car, am not sure how one would get there from EWR unless there are bus routes that go there. Taxis are rather expensive from the airport to anywhere, IME.

Wandering Aramean likes this.