Is there a way to know when a route is going to sell out of Wanna Get Away

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by REDGAR, Dec 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. REDGAR

REDGAR Member

Status Points:
    I know other airlines tend to have different pricing if purchasing 7 or 10 or 14 days out and tiers like that.

Just wondering if there is a way to tell when Wanna Get Away is sold out on particular route TPA to RDU. Looking to see that let minute I can buy and still get the Wanna Get Away far. It will be a pretty regular flight for me.

Thanks in advance

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    WN publishes fares, just like the other airlines do. The catch is that they aren't pushed to the public OTA interfaces so the details are harder to find. And even if the fare rules do allow for a zero-day advance purchase there's no guarantee that the inventory will be available.

In short, I wouldn't bet on it.

I do see WGA fares available in the market for the next couple days - 2-3 days out - so the advance purchase issue may not really be a problem, but it is also ~$240-250 one-way. Not really a great value there. A quick search of ITA suggests that lower fares are available on many days in the coming month, though I didn't dig in to the schedule/routing details

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that SW'S cheaper seats are long gone as it gets close to the departure date. But remember you can cancel a SW ticket and get your money to use again, so you could instead make preemptive bookings and cancel for credit if you are not flying that week.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. REDGAR

REDGAR Member

Status Points:
    Sorry having trouble with a couple acronyms. OTA and ITA

Thanks

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTA = Online Travel Agency (e.g. Orbitz/Travelocity)
    ITA = http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - Very useful for searching flights/fares but not for Southwest.