Is there a way to get elite status without flying?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by SgtPeppers, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading some where but I am not sure.

Is there a way to get elite status without flying?

Can you list some examples for the newbies... Please...

-----
    On a separate note... these new smiles are kinda cool:cool:

doc, PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    doc, Mikel, PAinNY and 2 others like this.
  3. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got Delta Silver Medallion status from my spending on my Skymiles AMEX card this year. Only took one trip last year and that one was with points.

doc and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A number of programs offer it via CC spend. That said, if you aren't flying much what's the point of having the status?

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting status without flying is only really going to pay off if you're anticipating an impending a change in travel patterns (like starting a job with significant travel), or if there is little or no cost to you and you expect to get at least some use out of it.

nipun: are you looking to start traveling significantly, either for work or pleasure? Are you looking for some one-off benefits for an upcoming trip? Are you looking to get status just to have it? Depending on your goals the best options can differ a bit.

doc, PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines today gave Executive Platinum and AC memberships to all the living Medal of Honor recipients.

I don't recommend that course, but if you can do it you'll get that without flying american.

doc and travelinmike33 like this.
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nipun, as others have said, getting elite status does not do too much if you aren't flying that airline. That being said, I know that AA will provide lifetime Gold for getting 1M miles. These miles can be from any source.

If you could tell us more about what is driving the question maybe we could help more.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I salute AA for what they did to honor those who have served bravely.....I also believe AA gives Lifetime Platinum for 2mm miles...and other airlines have similar programs.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main difference is that AA gives it for any miles earned from any source (CC, bonus miles, promotions, shopping, etc) while others require at least Elite miles or actual miles flown for million miler qualification

10. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only that, you get paid to try to earn that status. :)

11. I got silver on DL by transfering 50k Amex Membership rewards points to my DL medallion acct, and also got 50% bonus for all miles transferred. You have to register for the offer and it has to be your first transfer, but it worked. Flying DL this weekend using those miles.

doc likes this.
  12. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personified by a certain Ryan Bingham, talk about product placing - and they didn't even pay for it ;)
    I really like this aspect of the AA-program, and wish more airlines would follow their example (concerning the MM feature, not much else ;))

doc likes this.
  13. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone. My travel pattern has recently changed where I am flying AA almost every other weekend. But that being said, the flight I am taking does not have a special "business class" or "first class" seating. IT is usually a small 1x2 embriar so all you really get is a snack in this 2-hour flight.

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    SgtPeppers: SInce you are flying AA a lot, it would be wise to look into their challenges.

Check the wiki here: http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/american-aadvantage-elite-status/
    More info on the challenges here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

Depending on your situation, elite status can still offer checked bags (may or may not matter) and priority checkin/security/boarding, along with a bonus on earned miles. Also exit rows if you want them, upgrade stickers (if nothing else, useful if you fly another route at some time in the future, and with AA you're earning your upgrade instruments so best to get elite asap. Maybe free drinks/snacks too, depending on your flying pattern. Well worth doing to hit elite sooner, and a nice feature of AA for those starting from scratch.