Is there a way to fly East to AKL?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat H, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Going on a cruise next Jan which starts in AKL. No business seats available so I have a first class ticket SAV-IAD-SFO-SYD-AKL. Got my friend economy PHL-IAD-SFO-SYD. Can't get her to AKL without another stop in CHC. Asked for different routings but was told there is nothing available on ANZ and connecting thru Asia is over the mileage limit. Is there a way to fly East to get to AKL?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on a single award, though sometimes CO will accidentally let it slide. You'll probably end up booking US-SE Asia and SE Asia-NZ to make it happen. That'll get expensive in a hurry.

3. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait, going to NZ via Asia isn't allowed? [​IMG]

4. That's what I have been told twice. It's over 10,000 miles. I tried thru NRT. Any other suggestions?

5. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I don't have any suggestions to offer. Is it UA or CO telling you that it exceeds the mileage limit? I was hoping to redeem CO miles for NZ via Asia this fall...

6. UA. Remember I am flying from the east coast so that may be the problem.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CO still permits it. Their rules are not MPM based so it is much easier. Connecting in BKK isn't a problem, for instance, on the way to Oz or New Zealand.

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As crazy as this sounds, try routing to AKL through HNL

9. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there no avail. on LAX/SFO/YVR to AKL on NZ, or are they being *net blocked? Do these flights fail award rules from the east coast?

10. How do I know if it is true unavailability or *net blocked? I didn't try YVR-AKL so thanks for the suggestion.Going thru LAX/SFO/YVR is well withing the rules. When I tried going thru NRT it was over the mileage allotment.

11. Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but no go.

12. Thanks for the info, I will give this a try also.

13. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the MPM rules based on one way? I believe UA now allows a certain % over the MPM limit, and since SFO-NRT-AKL is only ~600 over, so maybe if you call you will be able to book via NRT?

14. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found it....

– REVIEW MILEAGE INFORMATION TABLE COMPARING
    CUM (CUMULATIVE TICKETED POINT MILES) TO MPM (MAXIMUM
    PERMITTED MILES). CHECK BOTTOM OF -LVL- (LEVEL)
    COLUMN TO DETERMINE IF CUM IS GREATER THAN MPM:
    M CUM DOES NOT EXCEED MPM
    5M CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY 5 PERCENT
    10M CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY 10 PERCENT
    15M CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY 15 PERCENT
    20M CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY 20 PERCENT
    25M CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY 25 PERCENT
    EXC CUM EXCEEDS MPM BY OVER 25 PERCENT
    *AWARD TRAVEL IS VALID UP TO 15M.

I am not an expert, but if I am reading this correctly the technical maximum permitted mileage each way to AKL is 11,000 miles...

15. I am starting in SAV so that adds another 2500 +/- miles.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    MPM should be per city pair, not per continent pair. :confused:

17. Are you saying it doesn't matter where I start from?

18. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my understanding too... 10M does not make sense from the east coast, because that means you are pretty much limited to the nonstop AKL flights from the west coast and HNL on ANZ/UA...

OP, did you book your F ticket to AKL using UA miles??

19. Yes. It's on hold until 3/14 becasue the return from SYD isn't until 3/6/12. That gives me a little time to look for alternatives.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No...I'm saying that it does. If you start in SAV the MPM should be higher than starting in SFO.

21. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So that is over the 10,000+10% MPM limit at ~11,700, which means the limit has to be at least 15M for SAV-AKL....

The MPM rules are based on city to city not continent to continent.... So LAX-AKL probably will be 10M, but MIA-AKL will be 15M or something like that...

So if it is 15M that would open up connecting options like PEK, NRT, HKG, SYD, MEL, LHR, HKG, etc...

22. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been checking with CS? At times I just reach the point where I need to pick up the phone and call. In those cases I tend to be as open as possible and say something like "I need to get to AKL by xxx and can be very flexible in routing." If you get a good agent he/she will work with you - if you don't hang up and call again.

23. I've been calling every day. I'm always the one to suggest alternative routings thanks to all the suggestions. I asked about going thru NAN and the agent kept telling me the only routing to NAN was thru AKL. I had UA status for 6 yrs, including 1K. Now I'm just a peon and I hate it.

24. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use another tool such as aeroplan.com or ana.co.jp to search for the award. If it's not available there then it's just not available. If it's available there and UA agents claim they can't see it, first you should call back because sometimes agents are just dumb. If you call back and it still can't be found, you may be getting *A blocked.

IME NZ premium cabin awards only open up very close to departure and then only if the cabin isn't close to full. So it's entirely possible that there just isn't availability.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the NZ LAX-NAN-AKL service is now operated by FJ so not available as an award. There is the Friday-only HNL-NAN service on CO via a 738 as an option but that's probably not the most fun flight timing in the world. The NZ one-stop service is Sundays via RAR according to the current timetable.