Is there a way to copy from memory card to external w/o computer?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by cmj542, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling continuously for 2 months and will be taking a bunch of pictures, but won't be bringing a laptop. Does anyone know of a way to copy photos from a memory card to an external without a computer? Is there some sort of (reasonably priced, around $150 ideally for about 100gb) way to do so?

I saw these options (http://photodoto.com/portable-photo-storage-buyers-guide/) but it seems a little too expensive for the amount of memory. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying additional SD cards?

2. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about using a Eye-Fi SD card. When in range of Wi-Fi it will upload the pictures to your favorite picture site.

bakedpatato likes this.
  4. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an Eye-Fi card and it's awesome. You do need to use a computer and the Eye Fi software to change the configuration settings, namely which access points to connect to, etc.

If you DO know the name of the access points though (like attwifi, Starbucks, McDonald's or maybe the name of your cell phone or other portable hotspot), you can configure it ahead of time by telling the software that the network is not in range. However, if you want to add a new access point, you need to pop in the card into a PC to edit the settings.

Eye-Fi does have "Direct Mode" now that you can transfer the pictures to / via an iPhone, but depending on where you're traveling that might not be any better than trying to use a MiFi or android hotspot, since the roaming charges can be outrageous.

That's another thing to consider as well, since a decent DSLR today will produce 3-4MB pictures on medium/high quality settings... if you have a data cap (even if it's several gigabytes), you can certainly reach that by transferring a few hundred pictures.

bakedpatato likes this.
  6. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not grab a bunch of cheap SD cards and take with you. For $100 you can buy a boatload of gigs.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I did in the past, but since I also wanted a backup in case of damage, loss or theft, I also took a PDA with two SD slots to copy the data onto backup cards. I used the PDA for IFE as well and gained space on my SD cards as I watched and then deleted the movies/TV shows.

8. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I know it probably more than what you want to spend, but an iPad with the camera connection kit will do what you want.

10. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same concerns as HaveMilesWillTravel since SD cards fail all the time. I want a backup just in case. I was thinking about the iPad w/ connection kit option, but my iPad is only 32gb and, since I'm using a Canon T1i to take pictures in RAW form and two months of pictures would easily exceed that.

Right now I've really narrowed down my choices to the Digital Foci Picture Porter 250gb 500gb option for $350 or just sucking it up and bringing the Macbook Air I would've gotten anyway (but wasn't planning to bring) + a 1tb external.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. If the concern is backup, why not just pop into an internet cafe every week or two and have your pictures burned to DVD? Or even uploading them to a remote server if you have the bandwidth? The cost of this varies based on where you're travelling but IME its anywhere from $2-10 per DVD.

12. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow the macally thing is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I'm going to order one today and test it out. I'll let everyone know how it works out, if yall are interested.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's indeed very nice. I tend to travel with my MB Air on longer trips, but this would likely be my choice if I didn't.

15. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well keep in mind that it doesn't work with all cameras, so you should do your research.

And maybe it's just me, but nowadays I don't trust any backup solution that doesn't in itself have some kind of redundancy. Going on the road for a few weeks and taking a bunch of pictures, I'd rely on uploading the pictures somewhere every now and then, so that if something happens at least you have *some* of the pictures backed up.

Having a gadget that you carry with you -- or a bunch of memory cards for that matter -- are no more reliable than offloading the pictures to a PC that is traveling with you. If anything gets stolen, broken or whatever, then the pictures are gone... and (to me at least) the pictures are more important than the camera, because I can always buy a new camera, but chances are the moment in the pictures is gone for good. :)

My current solution -- which is decidedly overkill -- is a DSLR with an Eye-Fi card configured to connect to my home network, my droid and my Verizon Mi-Fi. This works relatively well domestically, because every picture is almost immediately uploaded back to my home PC when I take it. There I have a setup where the pictures are backed up to my NAS and uploaded to the internet as backup, in case something happens to my PC at home. If I'm traveling international then the data rates force me to rethink that approach, but I still use the hotel Wi-Fi to send my stuff away almost religiously.

Like I said, almost certainly overkill, but I have digital photo albums going back 15 years and I really regret the ones that got lost, either because the camera was lost (happened once on the inter-coastal waterway) or because a hard drive crapped out, etc.

bakedpatato likes this.
  17. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah there wasnt any info on compatibility on the product description. I actually think its already discontinued. Anyway, fingers crossed that USB 2.0 works on it.

18. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got the Memorex Travel Sync in the mail. I decided to go with that instead of the SyncBox just because Amazon sells it and their customer service is amazing.

It actually worked great for the quick test I did of 5 photos. It supports USB 2.0 and 1.1 and only cost $20. I connected my Canon SD1000 to a SanDisk USB stick and the transfer took maybe 10 seconds. I decided my system will be somewhat redundant...I'm going to bring extra SDHC cards as well as back up my photos on USB using the travel sync. When I do find a place to upload photos to DropBox/burn them to DVD, I'll do that.

19. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you have an ipad or older ipod you can just transfer the files to those while on the road. I have used a number of portable travel devices, that run about 20GB-30GB and either take a memory card, or plug into a memory card reader or DIRECT into the camera usb and do the transfer. They run on battery and can do about one full load before burning the bat. I used one for a trip to africa back in 2008. I still have a couple if you are looking

20. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for something like these two forever! I don't always want to lug my netbook to save to my portable hard drives, but always want dual backups to my photos.

Not sure however I want to purchase something this slow. Supports USB 2.0 but designed as 1.1? With 3.0 becoming more available, hate the speed restriction when trying to download multiple 16GB cards on a photo trip.

One day someone will design one of these with a way to check files as well. Still waiting for now I think, but will watch this thread for more reviews!

21. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely would love something faster of course, but it seems like these kind of products havent been redesigned in the last few years. Everything I found (syncbox, travelsync) was designed in 2006-2008. Strange that manufacturers have stopped trying to redesign.