is there a short version to the changes?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by 2soonold, Feb 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got an email today saying National was changing the Emerald Club Master Rental Agreement.
    Didn't point out what the changes might be; just a link to the new agreement.
    Any idea what the changes are?

mht_flyer likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly certain that the change is:

Membership Level / Credits Needed for One Rental Day

Emerald Club / 7 (Valid for up to a mid-sized rental vehicle)
    Emerald Club Executive / 6 (Valid for up to a full-size rental vehicle)
    Emerald Club Executive Elite / 5 (Valid for up to a luxury car rental)

I believe this means that as an Exec Elite that I no longer can reserve a convertible or SUV with my free days, if so, I'm pissed at these changes:mad:

kyunbit and 2soonold like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found the ent. book discounts work just fine.

DTWBOB

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does this work? I've only redeemed one free day since I've been exec.

With exec you can reserve a car but get whatever is in the executive lane. Does this mean that if I reserve a reward for two days, in th exec lane I can only pick up to a full size?

On a side I really like National over Hertz since I've more or less switched, however it is better for revenue rentals, the free days rentals suck compare to hertz's point scheme in my opinion,

That said weighing the differences, I still pick National over Hertz.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    that would be my understanding, that said I would grab what you want and see if the gate agent calls you on the difference.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting for sure, I'm sure it wouldn't be a issue, but you can't just "reserve" the better-than-full size, kind of, if they have it take, if not, get your Altima or Impala :)

7. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over at FT, somebody noticed that the new language seemed to state that miles earning rentals would not be counted toward your status with EmeraldClub.:eek: What's up with that? We miles earners already pay a fee to National for earning miles. Not having our miles earning rentals count toward status in Emerald Club just serves as in incentive to consider renting from a EHI competitor.

8. meswanson

meswanson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this in fact true? Does make me think twice about staying with them if this is the case.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    They changed to that in the last round of changes, but since then I believe EEs have still been able to reserve anything.

The miles earning thing is new, though.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an email back from them, and it seemed "noncommittal". So, it seems the language is there in case they want to use it.:)
    This doesn't mean I will stop using National, but I'll probably use them less. I already did my most recent rental without National.
    I do about 18 to 36 rentals a year. They are not business; I pay outta my own pocket. And, yes, everytime the price of gas goes up I try to rent less and go for the smallest cars with the best gas milage. I have a road trip coming up for which I will definitely use National Executive. This will give me a chance to see for myself if I can get the airline miles and still have the rental count toward status at National.;)