Is there a reason 'American Airlines' is not on MilePoint?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MinimumConnectingTime, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MinimumConnectingTime
    Original Member

MinimumConnectingTime Active Member

Status Points:
    It seems like other official presences from suppliers are up and running on this site. Anyone know why we are missing out on the insider, informative posts and interaction 'American Airlines' is offering up on FT?

Any guesses or insider knowledge?

- Never heard of the site?
    - Too busy building relationships on FT?
    - Planning a reverse takeover of TravelingBetter to stave off the current 'no cash' takeover bid for AA?
    - Too busy building flat bed seats at the factory to spend more time with the darn Internet?
    - A 'MilePoint' is a terrible thing to waste?
    - Working on our next MobDance for Penn Station. Gotta get the message out that flying is better than the train?

Any thoughts?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I look forward to the day American has an active, real presence on MilePoint or Flyertalk! The emphasis is on "active" and "real" though. The interaction that is provided on FT now isn't exactly groundbreaking. If anything, the "AmericanAirlines" handle seems to be alienating and angering the AA frequent flier community. If you look at the threads started by the AA handle, they're filled with months old information and FTers asking questions that get ignored and subsequently they become irritated. That's not exactly a good foot in the door for AA.

My personal opinion is that AA views its currently interaction on FT as a marketing tool, end of story. It has yet to build any real rapport or relationship with the community as you've suggested. A few commenters on FT have even mentioned that their attempts to seek information in private from the AA presence were out right ignored. The other brands (Starwood, Continental) who have official representation on MP or FT interact with the community, provide information when they can, and seek out answers to complicated questions.

AA's handle on FT is nothing like that. If that's what AA is bringing to the table, I'll stick to getting my advice and information from the many knowledgable posters we already interact with and trust. If AA decides to actually engage with these FFer communities, that will be a very, very good day! :) I'm an AA customer and frequent flier, but I'm also a *fan* of the brand. I'd be thrilled to get some information straight from the horse's mouth.

As for your specific question about why AA isn't on MP, my best bet would be that they aren't very aware of MP. They hardly seem to understand what FT is. As an up and coming site, MP probably hasn't made it on to AA's outsourced PR company's radar yet. That will change as time goes on, the user base develops, and word starts to spread. Some great opportunities in the near future like the Frequent Traveler Awards are coming up where information can be disseminated. I suppose we could reach out to the AA handle on FT and let them know that MP is here and eager for their input, but since they don't seem to response to emails, we might be SOL... ;)

3. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    You're kidding, right? AmericanAirlines is hardly providing "insider, informative posts." On the contrary, they're posting pure, unmitigated spam, without one ounce of insight or engagement with--or, dare I say it, respect for--the user community.

Thank heavens they're not on Milepoint yet. Let's hope it stays that way.

miamigrad, jbcarioca, gemac and 3 others like this.
  5. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure the OP's post had a touch of sarcasm in it. And by touch I mean it was dripping wet.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice to have representation from AA on MP, it would be a great opportunity for them to take the pulse of their more frequent fliers. I guess they are preoccupied with the fortune cookie promotion. :eek:

jbcarioca and travelingmore like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great questoin to ask Maya Liebman at the Randy Petersen Executive Travel Summit in New York at the end of the month! :D

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do want to hear her answer whether i am there or not.

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I don't think there'll be any secrets about what's said there!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gleff,
    Great idea.. will you be there? It would be extremely helpful to convey to them the major opportunities they are missing by not only participating in MP but by not providing the resources and constructive input that their competitors do. Hopefully a bit of honey might lead them into the next century. Anyone else on this thread attending the NY forum that could reinforce these points strongly?

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I'll be there. And Randy will be there, of course. And somehow I think she knows about Milepoint. And will be 'encouraged' to get involved. :)

Fiji likes this.
  12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see enough activity on this forum yet to support an AA employee monitoring it - just 9 active threads in the last 24 hours. I think we need a lot more activity than that to get a dedicated employee (not PR firm) on board. It would take all of 5 minutes a day to pick out anything they need to be involved with.

Of course, if AA comes out with another flashmob video they might want to introduce it to a smaller audience here so they'll be less critics if it's poorly received. :D

Tom in Brussels

13. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have broadened the concept of this thread on AA into a new thread on an overall directory of representatives as well as a feedback system to make them more responsive and effective to the MP membership. If any of you are interested it is at: http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/320273/

14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm amazed at their lack of posting relevant information. The majority of the time, it's some dated promo that's been discussed ad nauseum by FT/MPers.

15. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lets hope if they do, they take more of a active roll here. My vote is they post all new news here first, before any other site.

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The amazing thing is that they bill AA for this, and AA pays. AA could get me a lot cheaper. If they insist on urinating off their customers, I would be glad to read the news releases on AA.com and post them here and on MP for the paltry price of a couple of dozen international first class tickets per year. :D

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same here but I'd take lifetime EXP!

gemac likes this.
  18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would it be a great question? She's not going to say "Everyone around here is scared to death of having anyone who actually knows anything participate in social media, so we're going to be super cautious and leave it to our PR firm."

19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    They wouldn't need to "dedicate" an employee to the forum (in the sense of it being someone's primary job) but could easily have someone participate, as you say, in just a few minutes per day.

Of course, if anyone knowledgeable at AA actually did participate, likely the forum would see a lot more activity :)

20. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually asked the question during the live chat session with Maya (2nd question posed during the session :) ). She responded that while AA may not be posting, they are monitoring these forums. She also referenced Facebook and Twitter, but didn't really address what I pointed out was nothing more than a PR push.

Wurm likes this.
  21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my point.

22. hillrider

hillrider Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has been "monitoring" forums for ages, and as a result most/every loophole discussed has been closed quite rapidly.

Great help to its flyers. Not.

23. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually sent a follow-up to your question (realizing that it would not be answered, but still...). Given the fact that the conversation format didn't lend itself to real-time follow-ups, I was hoping that we at least would have had a forum to submit follow-ups for answers afterwards. Maybe Randy can consider asking future conversation guests to commit to looking at follow-ups generated by what was actually said during the live event.

(Incidentally, my follow-up was to ask whether AA's current (and future) agents on Twitter and Facebook would be told not to perform "problem-solving solutions" that negatively impacted elites, such as the recent DL incident where a non-elite was given an exit row seat, making that seat unavailable to Medallion flyers).