Is there a policy when a westin doesn't have a lounge?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by carsonheim, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying at the Westin Peachtree in ATL. I called down to find out where the club lounge is, and was told this hotel doesnt have one. I then asked if there were some sort of offerings for plats, as I normally like to go there in the morning for coffee and a light breakfast and was told that there is in room coffee.

I understand that lower end SPG properties don't have longes, but this is a gigantic hotel in the city center, chock full of business travelers.

Even the 4Pts gave me a voucher for a free starbucks on my last stay....

Anyone have any insight?

2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotels that don't have a lounge don't have to give anything else in its place.

There used to be a lounge at the Westin Peachtree, but it was closed way back around 2001 or 2002. I think that was the last time that I stayed there, and they had closed the lounge not long before my stay.

It seems that the Club Lounge (or rather the Executive Lounge) has been de-emphasized as a Westin brand standard. I wouldn't be surprised if less than 20% of all Westins today have an Executive Club Lounge. Meanwhile, the Club Lounge has been emphasized as a brand standard for more Sheratons.

This is one of several differences that have made me change many of my opinions of the Westin brand. I do not prefer Westin as much as I used to.

Your gift from the 4P was a hotel-specific gift. If one hotel decides to go above and beyond, it shouldn't be held against other hotels who fail to make the same non-standard offers, IMO.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no obligation, but some hotels do have a policy of giving vouchers for breakfast, drinks, or appetizers .A few hotels, such as the St Regis in Singapore, arrange something in a hotel restaurant or bar for their Plat guests, in this case, a daily small appetizer and complimentary alcoholic beverage.Some alofts offer a breakfast item to Plats. I've seen Plats convince hotel staff to do something in this direction when it isn't standard by just asking nicely. This is likely to depend on your room rate and how frequently you stay at the particular property. For long stays, try to negotiate when reserving the room; this may require speaking with the hotel's general manager or sales manager. YMMV..

However, IMO what the hotel does have an ethical obligation to do is to have up-to-date information regarding lounge closures prominently available on its website. Club or lounge access room rates should not be offered for sale when the lounge is closed unless the rooms themselves are different and lounge breakfast and/or evening description is not included as part of the on-line room description. When this happens, we should all complain to the hotel staff and to Starwood corporate. If you reserve a room through the SPG Plat concierge, they should provide accurate information regarding the property's lounge policies; if not, complain.

SC Flier likes this.
  4. fstop75

fstop75 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've always viewed the Sheraton and Westin brands as the two catering to the business traveler, with the Westin providing a nominally better experience. With the decline of Westin club lounges and the increase of Sheraton club lounges, I am curious as to where SPG is taking the Westin brand.

SC Flier likes this.