Is there a better source to learn about whether dinner is served on my flight?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by nathockens, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. This week, 8:40PM AA flight from ORD to SEA. Website says "snack", EXP line says "snack." Hockens eats at the airport and then a full meal is served on the flight.

Return flight, 3:25, same thing.

What the heck? How is there such a disconnect between the reservation and real life catering? Is there any infinitive source on whether or not there will be dinner on my flight?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's not actually a disconnect between what is shown and catering, more a "bonus" for the traveler.

AA's version of a "snack" is a full meal. While you might view a snack as some warm nuts or a small sandwich, AA's version of a snack is a cheeseburger with chips or chicken enchiladas. Note that flights under 2/2.5 hours generally are not catered with a meal and you'll receive the traditional snack pack and beverage. Anything over 2 hours in standard meal times or 2.5 hours otherwise and you're looking at essentially a full service meal.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think what we might traditionally consider a snack is listed on AA as a "Refreshment".

Some more info on Food & Beverage on AA if anyone wants to take a look!

3. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that DestinationDavid is correct. The term "refreshments" usually means only drinks and the warm nuts in first.

4. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    And some, including myself prefer many of AA snacks like the salmon or shrimp salad to their standard non-meat dinner offering of one of the same three pasta bowl for several years. There is a good photo thread started by Tom911 with photos of AA meals (which you now know includes snacks :))

Original Member likes this.
  5. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Refreshments = Warm nuts and cookies only
    Snack and Brunch services are identical to the Lunch service

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Infinitive sources are split on this issue.

7. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, to expand this further, the definitive source is your flight information on AA.com. Snack = sandwich or salad with a meat on it or something similar and a warm cookie. Dinner = salad, entree, plus dessert. Lunch is similar. Breakfast is typically omelet, bread basket, and some fruit. Alternative is granola and yogurt and/or some other cereal + fruit.

8. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I beg to differ. Lunch is not similar to Dinner but rather is similar/same as Snack and Brunch.

Dinner includes an appetizer on most flights and a choice between a pasta and a meat dish and a dessert consisting of a sundae or a sliver of cheesecake. (Though transcon Lunch flights also get the pre-made sundae)

Lunch/Brunch/Snack is more accurately described by you as, "sandwich or salad with a meat on it or something similar and a warm cookie", and served with a side of pita/potato chips.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I first read that ;)

gemac likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 132 photos, mostly of AA meals with departure times listed, HERE. Quickest way through them is with your right arrow key.

sobore and jammanxc like this.
  11. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    omg tom, your site is making me hungry!!

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does the food never look this good in person? :)

13. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    MIA-ORD - had brownie ice cream sundaes after dinner

Maybe this is old news, but I haven't had anything but warm cookies in a while. And the AA ice cream sundae in F that I had in 2002 as part of one of my first upgrades ever still lives in my mind as legendary... but that's another story. In any case, any improvement to domestic catering is more than welcome...

By the way, is there a more appropriate food thread to post this in? I searched 'sundae' and came up with this.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We don't have a consolidated food topic at this time in the AA forum. Perhaps we can start one soon, or you could do us the honor?

I'm not sure the sundae is new, I think it just depends on the routes you fly and what time of day you're flying. I've had it a few times myself in the last two years. Even had a strawberry cheesecake sundae out of DFW. I'll take the ice cream over the cookie anyday. Unless it's the coconut cookie. I adore that! :D

15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    What ever happened to the oatmeal? With the ramekin of berries, the brown sugar, the (coffee) creamer? Is it seasonal? (Although I don't think there are seasons between SAN and DFW:)

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which an FA told me they call "salt and sugar runs."

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like the custom ice cream sundaes!

When flying international F, I bring along my own chamomile and peppermint tea bags to drink with the ice cream. Delicious!