Is the soup too spicy?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by canucklehead, Nov 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honest question!

I flew CO yesterday (in F) and we were served chicken chowder (or something like that). I thought the taste was pretty good for my palate (as in it was not salty, but fairly seasoned). The person behind me was pissed!!!

She complained to 2 FAs that the soup was inedible and she could not eat it as it was too hot (spicy). I was not sure what she wanted, but one of the FAs explained that the taste palate tends to get dull when flying and food tends to be spicier so that it does not taste bland.

The FA must have spent about 5 or 10 minutes explaining it and asking if they could serve her anything else, but I think she was too mad to be listening or request an alternative.

So, for those who have tasted the soups on CO flights, are they too spicy?

jupper and YULtide like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had this experience, but I can say that I love spicy food, and the soup in the Thai lounge in HKG on Monday left me with a lovely fiery glow well into my subsequent flight! Mmmmmmmmmm.

hulagrrl210 and canucklehead like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love spicy soups and I love it when I have the sausage lentil on my flugs!

4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally despise spicy food, but have never had unacceptably spicy food on CO.

5. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    No !

I usually like the chowders, and I usually add extra pepper to give it some seasoning... I don't cook overly spicy myself, more bland even regularly, but when in the USA I find myself wanting to season meals quite often (in flight or on the ground), whether or not I do, very much depends on how lazy I am... :)

Flyer1976 and canucklehead like this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, the soup in question is discernibly spicy but certainly
    not too much so. I might have, to be obnoxious, have leaned back and
    said something to the effect of, I think it's delicious, may I have yours?

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did feel sorry for the FA, but they were in a good mood (the Crumbs cupcakes I gave them may have helped :D). I did want to say something just to tweak her, as she and her seat companion were using my seat to lever themselves up, sending the seat racing forward. Its fine when you are awake, but when you are asleep - :mad:!

Overall, I found the soup to be just right. In fact, I liked the CO service better than the comparable UA food option (as the sauces on some of their foods tend to be very sugary -- Like the "tuscany" sauce for the chicken)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really expected this to be about no spoons catered for the soup. :oops:

jupper, canucklehead and Flyer1976 like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has happened before, I just used the fork and went *sluuurrrppppp*.

hulagrrl210 and jupper like this.
  10. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    How can people stand soup that isn't spicy?

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my thoughts...if they think the CO Soup is too spicy I'd like to see them try Malaysian Laska from Penang...

12. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it, there are two major problems with non-spicy airplane soup.

One is that making good soup is very time- and labor-intensive. I can't see most airlines simmering soup for hours to let flavors settle in, letting it cool, and repackaging it for service later.

Which leads to issue two: Spice is the best way to compensate for the otherwise bland base, especially given the taste attenuation at high altitudes.

But this is mostly a moot point for me, since I am vegetarian and can't eat 90% of soups.

YULtide likes this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't experienced the pleasure of trying Continental's soups, but got some beef curry on United catered out of OGG that was so incredibly hot/bad I could barely choke it down...and I actually really like spicy food.

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That has to be the nicest *A lounge I've seen...and all the food there is awesome :)

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  15. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had this "chowder" last week ORD-IAH-SJU and really liked it. I liked it better than the Tortilla Soup on United SJU-IAD last week!

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that soup is quite good. If this picky passenger thought it was too spicy, then probably nothing they served her was going to satisfy her.

Honestly, if you're not happy with what's being served, don't eat it. It's an airplane. There's no chef in the kitchen on board cooking your meal to order. The flight attendants just reheat and plate it. I feel sorry for the crew that had to deal with this woman.

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spicy-less soup=bland soup for me.

Speaking of eating spicy food onboard.

I love spicy food! I once accidentally ate one of those little red chilis on a CX flight in F [the ones you find in some spicy Chinese food] and it felt like the chili swallowed all the oxygen I had in my mouth :D Darn, AVOD distracted me from paying attention to what I picked up with my fork! :p

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do like the CO F catering, but I can't keep the soups straight. There was one chowder I liked (slightly spicy w/corn) and another that tasted like an unappetizing mouthful of green/red pepper. On the whole I mostly like what PMCO serves.

Wrong forum.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the missing spoons belong on FT-Lands...

jupper likes this.