Is the Sapphire Preferred "Limited Time" an ominous sign?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by autolycus, Jan 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Is the change to "Limited Time Offer" for the Sapphire Preferred an ominous foreshadowing?

1. Yes, credit cards are going the way of the dodo for mile/point accumulation.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, credit card sign-ups bonuses will be much lower in 2012 than 2011. 2010-11 was the golden age.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. No, this is just part of the cycle and similar offers will be around the corner.

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  4. No, this is the winter before a wonderful spring--to steal someone else's way of putting.

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to the points and miles accumulation game, so I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone thought about the Sapphire Preferred "Limited Time Offer" change that's going around the BoardingArea and other blogs yesterday and today.

infamousdx, iolaire and goheerow like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats all marketing, some other card will be the focus for a bit...

deant likes this.
  3. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's marketing. For example, Citi ThankYou is targeting people with 80k and 100k offers.

4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fear of loss marketing technique... hook, line and sinker.

5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it is marketing, but that doesn't mean it isn't also true. We have all seen offers rise and fall in the last year or so. It's just a matter of time before this offer falls, at least for a while. Who knows when that will be. Hopefully there will be other great offers that take a turn in the spot light. I bet we will see some great offers in 2012, but I also bet that more and more many of them will be targeted. I guess only time will tell!

YULtide likes this.
  6. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they'll start touting the new United 50k card harder what with the new year of the merger. Make it public instead of targeted for now

7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got my new Sapphire in the mail on Monday...good timing for once in my life!

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone willing to bet that in 12 months there will be a similar or may be even better offer? :)

9. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cliche marketing tactic and fear mongering by zombie affiliate partners.

KateFromCA, sun and infamousdx like this.
  10. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be cloggers attempting to juice their numbers;)

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  11. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    By March there will be a better Preferred offer. In the meantime, a couple more 75K offers to whet our appetites. I think Citi especially will need to step up now that AA MM has changed and the 75K / 100K offers are finally gone. We'll see something big by Citi before Summer. AmEx also needs to retake the credit card points title back from Chase. Bring it on!

12. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex definitely needs to step their game up! Their partners are devaluing like crazy (Avios, Aeroplan) and it doesn't seem like they're recovered from losing CO. Another 50% bonus on BA transfers would certainly get me back into the MR program more heavily.

IkeEsq likes this.
  13. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm all for it. I hope they all battle it out and huge sign-up bonuses come from every direction!

YULtide, rharrigill and misterbwong like this.
  14. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention going back on promised bumps. I cut up our (4) cards and mailed them back after that fiasco. I'd expect that kind of thing from BoA. :mad:

KateFromCA and mommypoints like this.
  15. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with mommypoints. Crossing my fingers for a 100k UR sign up bonus.

16. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully 2011 established a new standard in signup bonus offers, which it seems it has with the new 50k benchmark and all.

We should be seeing a year sprinkled with 100k and a smattering of 75k offers.

maybe even a 150k miles offer!!! Sweet.

17. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I scored a 100K match on the 50K offer in December. That seems to be a bit of an outlier though. Hope everyone gets that this year!

18. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We all remember what happened to the "Limited time offer ending soon" Chase Ink Bold ... sign-up stayed the same and bonuses got better. So who knows...

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an marketing trick to give the Boarding Area "Travel" bloggers an opportunity for another round of "Sapphire Card Rulez" posts.

20. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry in advance as this is migrating a bit far off topic . . .

I must say that I have found it interesting that the bloggers have been talking a lot of late about A) Chase UR and B) American Airlines. Back in July-August there was a lot of buzz about AmEx MR but starting around November-December MR has almost completely fallen off the radar and it has been replaced by Chase UR. Certainly there have been good signup bonuses, the UR mall, and the Freedom/Sapphire/Bold/Checking combo. Still, a lot of talk.

The American Airlines deal has been a bit more dramatic, in my eyes. I fly AA above all other airlines and have for decades. It is the only airline on which I have ever had status and most of last year was spent driving toward AA LTG. So for the last six months I read freefrequentmiles, frugaltravelguy, thepointsguy, viewfromthewing, onemileatatime, and mommypoints on a daily basis looking for ways to gather more miles on AA before 12/1. Instead, the vast majority of ideas came from FT and occasionally from here. However, since the OWMD and the seemingly odd free EXP challenge only for non-AA elites, several among the bloggers have switched over to AA, usually from UA I think. Now there are daily stories about the benefits of AA.

Despite the fact that it still kinda urks me that the big status 'giveaway' on the One World MegaDo is not open to AA Elites, I understand the reasoning. It has obviously been very successful. I know, "AA has been very generous . . ." but the simple fact is that corporations, by-and-large, are very generous when it is in their interests and when they predict a payback. Handing EXP to a few dozen people looks like it will be paying back nicely for AA.

Back on topic, I still think that AmEx has lost a lot of buzz and is going to need to step up with something good if they don't want to lose marketshare to Chase. Same with Citi. We shall see.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  21. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree about MR and Amex losing buzz. There were some fun things to do/talk about with Amex related to the Gift Chain, Small Business Saturday, and the new year starting with the $200 Platinum fee credit, but that is about it. No exciting sign-up bonuses, no new transfer partners, not too much in terms of transfer bonuses (though I do like the 30% BA bonus). Amex right now is just kind of........boring.

UR and Chase have been more exciting. The holiday UR mall bonuses were especially fun - at least for me. The new SW transfer partner was also a good addition for some. The forthcoming 7% bonus for Sapphire Preferred users should also be pretty neat. I sure do hope Citi and Amex have some exciting things up their sleeves. I would love to take advantage (and talk about) some neat things from those banks as well.

As far as AA, I think you are totally right. The MegaDo was successful in getting elite flyers on other airlines to give AA a real shot, and as a result many bloggers are talking about their new experiences with AA. I'm elite with no one, so the promo didn't matter to me at all, but it seems to have been a successful venture to move a few elites over to AA.

YULtide likes this.
  22. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO the MR buzz started falling off when UA/CO left and BA devalued Avios for international travel (YQ charges are CRAZY!). I started looking into points about that time and those two factors got me to start with UR instead. Hopefully MR realizes that they need another good partner or a great benefit to make themselves top dogs again for FF's.

23. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have focused on MR for now, largely because of my location in ATL. Delta may have some major flaws with points, but there's something to be said for non-stop flights to just about anywhere in the US and a whole lot of western Europe--and just 1 connection at AMS or CDG for pretty much any decent-sized airport across the pond. But it definitely looks like MR had a rough year in its competition with Chase and UR.

I got the CO OnePass Plus card for the 50k/60k sign-up and will likely start diversifying further with UR sometime this year. I'd love to see MR make a few moves, both so I can enjoy additional benefits, and so Chase will have something it needs to "one-up". And I'd also really like to see Citi throw out something like the 75k AA cards again this year so I can get the big three alliances all covered with at least some balance that I can maintain and build toward aspirational trips for my wife and myself.

24. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see Chase permanently ditching attractive bonuses for Sapphire Preferred, even if the current 50K were to go away for a bit. They're going up against Amex MR and will need to have at least periodic bonus offers. If it's later this year or so before another bonus comes along, fine, I'm not really worried.

LETTERBOY likes this.