Is the liquid rule for carry ons enforced?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by edenri, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always followed it, removed them from my 1 quart zip top bag at screening, etc. My travel mate, a couple times forgot to remove his bag at a couple airports, but nothing was said or done. The last time he went through multiple screenings, with a oversized zip top bag, clearly not 1 quart with various liquids, and other bathroom goods, sometimes he took it out sometimes not, but never had a problem.

Every time I went through, they put me through the nude a scope thing. One time they wouldn't even let me hold my money. I gotta start a new thread for this one.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think a couple of responded the nude-o-scope post. As far as the liquids "rule" it really depends on the TSO. Are they bored, impatient, surly, power trip...all depends on their mood I find on whether they make a case out of it. It's habit for me now to just pull it out. I have never attempted to carry larger liquids because I don't want an expensive lotion or whatever to get thrown away.

jbcarioca, Chimpy and edenri like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that > 50% of the time I forget to remove my bag from my carry-on and no one notices or says anything.

Tenmoc, sobore, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  4. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I "forget" all the time.... Worst that has ever happened is 1 time i got pushed to "extra security," and several others they pulled the quart bag and re-scanned it. Usually nothing happens.

jbcarioca, kwai and edenri like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In the last two and a half years the only place I've been asked to remove my freedom baggie is at YKM. I never otherwise remove my plastic bag, they never ask.

jbcarioca and edenri like this.
  6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can add ONT and SNA that you Must pull out the baggie

when I tell them funny Ive been thru 3 airports in the past few days and they tell me Not to remove it when they saw me taking it out (JFK,LAX,LAS) they answered well we arent as busy as they are so we go by the book

so I guess if you are leaving an airport that doesnt get much traffic they will enforce the rule while the busy ones are more interested in keeping everyone moving and not holding up the lines

7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always take the bag of my carry on. Usually it goes through easily. However, I noticed some folks sometime scrutinizing the cologne I carry on since the bottle "seems" large when it only holds 2.5 oz.

Lot's of fun.

Chimpy and edenri like this.
  8. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always take out my liquids bag (force of habit, I guess).

But my liquids bag contains a 3.5-oz bottle of liquid, and it almost never warrants additional scrutiny. Only at KIX did they open the bag, check the sizes of each bottle, and ask what the 3.5-oz one was for: It's contact lens solution. I know it's supposed to be presented separately, but I stopped doing that since nobody (at least in the U.S.) seems to bother to check!

sobore, jbcarioca and edenri like this.
  9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also had mixed experiences. And have actually forgotten that I've had some larger bottles in my bag. Most of the time it hasn't been noticed. Once at STL the screener noticed it, just ran the bag through again and on my way.

It was interesting last year ex-OKA, they had a little scanner thing that you set larger cans or bottles on. After a second, a light blinked or something to indicate it was OK, and you could take it through. It was nice to take my Coke through security.

10. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the fact that you can take outside PET bottles inside security & onto the jet, but never could understood how those bottle scanners work. Anyone?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. davidavid237
    Original Member

davidavid237 Active Member

Status Points:
    Developed at Los Alamos Labs and not ready for widespread distribution for several more years. This is from a Washington Post article, Oct 2010:

"The device, about the size of a small refrigerator, uses magnetic resonance to read the liquids' molecular makeup, even when the substances are in metal containers. Within 15 seconds, a light on top of the simple-looking metal box flashes red or green, depending on whether there's danger."​

jbcarioca, boxedlunch and edenri like this.
  12. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    This shouldn't really be a big deal, but..... I travel with asstd hot sauces (Tabasco, El Pollo Loco), salsa packs, mustards (English mustard or German mustard packs from lounges in LHR and FRA) in my Bose headphone case pocket and have always wondered when I am going to get hassled because they aren't in a clear plastic bag. No one has said a thing so far, and I usually have 5 or 6 different packets in the pocket. This definitely helps airplane food taste better!
    I get hassled more for my gps beanbag mount than I ever do for not taking my liquids out. I almost always put it in the bin with my laptop now to save the hassle.

jbcarioca, edenri and ACMM like this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never, er, remember, to remove liquids from my carryon. Usually, all US airports, BKK, PNH etc, it's no problem. Today they opened my bag in ICN for a bag containing a 90 ml container of shampoo and 35 ml container of liquid soap. Since there's no penalty for forgetting I've made an art out of it.

14. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't remove liquids from my bag either. I asked a TSA checker this once at LAX, and he said it wasn't necessary. Of course, knowing how inconsistent TSA is, it probably depends on airport, but I don't take it out anymore. If they decide to stop me, they stop me. So far, I've never been stopped for liquids. I have been stopped for other stupid things, like carrying a box of whisky glasses.

edenri and jbcarioca like this.
  15. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the same here in Europe most places. Generally they don't bother with the liquids inside the bags - and I too always 'forget' it. There are some exceptions though, like in Estonia they have always asked me to remove it, but they are also a bit strange, they also ask you to remove your laptop CHARGER from the bag.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been asked to that only at TLL also. Curious. I thought it was just a one off for me because I was carrying my usual three chargers plus two extras for Mrs. JB who was with me. Have you any idea why? they are otherwise so polite and east that this seems strange. To me anyway. I was on LO but I doubt that made a difference.

17. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea either. I also thought it was just a rogue officer the first time, but when I noticed it the 2nd time with a different officer I started to really wonder. I was on OV both time.

sobore likes this.
  18. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sometimes just forget to pull it out and if I only carry very small amounts of liquids I sometimes deliberately forget to pull it out. In Europe this almost all the time is discovered, in the US I would judge it at 50:50. On my last trip to ATL they didn't even critisise a small bottle of water that I really forgot to throw away.

19. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It could be that they showed up as a "blob" on the x-ray screen, especially if the wire is wrapped around the transformer/plug. I keep all my chargers and wall warts in a small plastic zip lock bags with the wires loose. So far, so good, at least in this aspect. ;)

20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Concur with many others in this thread. It's been several years since I bothered to take my baggie out of my carry-on.

21. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only times I can remember being requested to take out the bag have been at smaller airports in places you wouldn't think of as hotbeds of terrorist activity, but which evidently must be. Looking at you, MSN and IND. On the other hand, the screeners tend to be polite and professional, so it's all good.

22. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="craz, post: 241746"
    so I guess if you are leaving an airport that doesnt get much traffic they will enforce the rule while the busy ones are more interested in keeping everyone moving and not holding up the lines[/quote]
    I use BUR all the time and never get asked to pull my bag out, I think it's the least busy of all the airports in the LA area.

23. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes, just last month traveling from Bdl to Mia my wife was pulled aside by TSA to search her purse, she had put her makeup in a zip lock baggies and removed it, however missing a small tube of hand cream. TSA found it in her purse and said because she had not disclosed it and put in a zip lock baggie they would need to confiscate it. The agent explained that if it had been in the baggies and scanned properly she would of been able to keep it but because she forgot they would take it and dispose of it. it was like a half used 1oz tube of cream.

24. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just pull the damn bag out.

25. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure they watch The Simpsons on their monitors. They wouldn't know nor care if you put a gallon bottle of bleach in your suitcase.

(And I've found the same thing, where they really don't appear to notice the odd item left in my bag. Worst case they make you throw it out, though I imagine they'd just tell you to re-screen your items after taking out the bag.)