Is the Kiva leadership discounting the impact of their teams?

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by milchap, Apr 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I honestly believe that Kiva HQ is discounting the impact of the teams that form an important and vibrant constituency.

According to Kiva stats, the all time amount loaned since the beginning is $424,552,875.

23 Kiva teams have loaned $ 1,000,000 or more since inception of the Kiva movement.
    These 23 teams have loaned a total of $61,629,300.

So, 14.52% of all time Kiva loans have been made by these 23 teams.

While past performance is not a indication of future performance, these 23 teams are humming and growing. Some are growing at an amazing pace.

While Kiva has invested a great deal of energy in new initiatives and new "microlending" markets, it has perhaps forgotten a base constituency of teams united by passion and resolve to alleviate poverty one loan at a time.

A gatherng of the Kiva clans is a way to further channel and energize the constituents.

It is time for the clans to gather in order to honour the past, live the present and plan the future.

Kiva Headquarters.....are you listening ?

Participating in a Do is not a waste of precious energy; it is an invesment that could reap tenfold.
    Pap into the energy of those teams and you will be surprised by the result,

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Creation of various Kiva teams has had the advantage of fostering team spirit and a sense of belonging.

The weakness of the various Kiva teams concept is the building of "silos" where groups travel somewhat parallel to each other albeit some members contribute to more that one team.

Is it not time to bring those vibrant teams together in some form of gathering be it physical or even virtual?

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind meeting some of the Nerd Fighters. They seem like a fun lot.

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kiva has not forgotten the importance of the teams. There have been many conversations going on in regards to another DO of some type. I would not look for it to be in the form of last year, where we were spoiled rotten by Randy, Milepoint, Ho and JC and others.

The first option offered to us - Kiva Con, was absolutely not doable unlesss we all would be willing to pony up 500.00 a piece. I can guarantee you I was not willing to subsidize the team out of my pocket as was done by last year organizers. I personally did not feel it was fair to ask Milepoint, Randy or another of the other organizers to subsidize the program as they did last year.

The final outcome may not be to everyones liking, nor work for everyone's timing and schedule.

Anyone on this team is welcome to host a local do in their hometowns, meet ups with other Kiva members when they are traveling, and feeling free to engage with other Kiva teams.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

We can also ask MissBurrill and Dreamworks who have formed local teams and how Kiva has helped them. I know that the city teams received Kiva-in-a-Box items to help promote nascent teams and new lenders.

Kiva Do opened their eyes to the importance of the teams and channeling the energies.

They have also stepped up their Community Support - Brandon is an amazing and dynamic guy whose job is to engage with teams and lenders.

Finally, their Google Hangout was reformatted to include representation from some of the more active teams. I expect this will continue.

So overall, I agree with kellio about the fact that teams do interact with each other (for example, getting a chance to chat with Bob Harris on his book tour), or Kiva speakers in locales like DC (ask Dreamworks).

6. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy to give input on how local teams are working. Its honestly a self-driven initiative. If you program events, they will come. Even if "they" is friends in the beginning. Eventually, more people show up and you get a mailing list of people and slowly but surely it gets there.

7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I somehow missed that you formed a 'local' Kiva team!:oops: What is the lending team name?

ETA: just joined your team, per canucklehead's info.!:)

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    DC

9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been fortunate to attend some of the NY Kiva team events, & can confirm that Kiva has provided their resources (mentioned above) to piggyback on the cool efforts of the local Kiva community members to engender team spirit & share relevant info. on Kiva!:cool:

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    They give great prizes, too -- some donated by Kiva!

11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do indeed, and you were so generous to let me choose a prize when you won -- at the last event!:cool:

12. brandonatkiva

brandonatkiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this topic, Milchap -- fortuitous timing! We're actually in the midst of discussing strategy around lending teams with our management team, and I know that we're all very excited about how much teams bring to the Kiva ecosystem. Just as an example, did you know that nearly half of all loans made on Kiva are attributed to teams? It's pretty awesome.

In addition to the offline events and Google Hangouts that were mentioned above, we've also been featuring teams in our blog (like Milepoint!) and working more directly with team captains on strategies to grow their teams. That being said, there's still a lot more we can do to engage lenders, grow teams and improve the whole experience, so I'm looking forward to working with you all in the months ahead.

Brandon
    Community Marketing Coordinator, Kiva.org

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.