Is the iPad3 worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by RSSrsvp, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    The question of the day is whether I should bite the bullet and purchase an iPad2 now or wait for the release of the iPad3?

Among the features lacking in the iPad2 and rumored to be included on the iPad3 are:

4G connectivity (Motorola’s Xoom has a free 4G upgrade and a 4G-capable BlackBerry PlayBook will be shipping later this year)

“Full HD”.push the screen resolution of the upcoming iPad 3 to 2560×1920 , which is the maximum resolution a 9.7 Inch Panel can achieve.

3D capability.

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a huge proponent of refurbished products, so I'd suggest buying the older v1 version for cheap and wait until you see features that force you to upgrade. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=OTY2ODY4NQ

It will cost a fortune to stay ahead of technology, if you try to do that Apple will have you updating your device yearly...

I’m happily using a v1 model and don’t miss the cameral and the hairline smaller form factor…

savydog, doc, cptnkirk77 and 8 others like this.
  3. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the time the iPad 3 is released, you would have already heard rumors about what's included in the iPad 4. Technology moves too fast to wait for the next model that will be released on some unknown date in the future.

I completely agree with this. If you don't require the facetime feature, there's no real reason to even consider the iPad 2 while it's still possible to get a really good price on an original iPad.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I am typing this on my iPad 2. Other than a handful of Skype sessions I have never used the cameras. The primary reason for me to get it was to get more memory (iPad 1 had 16 gb) and to pass the "old" model on to my dad. The difference in size/weight really doesn't play a role for me. I cold have probably saved some bucks by upgrading myself to a 32 or 64 gb iPad 1 instead.

5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've taken a pass on the 2 and waiting for the 3....

General_Flyer likes this.
  6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, its not that much different anyways.. Methinks I'm staying with odd numbered apple products so I only need to buy a replacement once every 2 years.. :D

7. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    trust me, you DON'T want 3d on the ipad 3.

As for 4G, I don't think we will see it at all on the ipad 3, but I do think we'll see some form of much enhanced screen resolution bordering on the retina display DPI that is on the iphone 4, but probably not THAT much.

We MIGHT see some form of AMOLED or OLED screen, but that might be a stretch.

And I don't think well see it anytime before xmas at the earliest

doc, Gargoyle and General_Flyer like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you had done that in the early days, you'd have used the Apple 1 and then then Apple III, skipping the Apple ][. Which IMO would have been a bad strategy :)

General_Flyer likes this.
  9. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, if one were to buy a wifi model without 3G in the 2 as a gift for a college student which would you pick, the 16GB, the 32 GB or the 64GB if you also owned a laptop?

Gargoyle and General_Flyer like this.
  10. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Knowing Steve Jobs, He'll compartmentalize the iPad III to include such and such and iPad IV to include the what nots.. :rolleyes:

:D Lucky for me I get to do it only now I suppose.. ;)

I am a student with a laptop, and I have a 64GB 3G model. :)

11. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't you have wall to wall WiFi at your school?

Gargoyle and General_Flyer like this.
  12. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do, but the 3G is a nice add-on, allowing me to use it everywhere. Its a mobility thing I suppose.. :)

13. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    In all honesty the Retina display feature would be the only thing I would look forward to here much. 4G will happen when it happens though at this point it is still not blown out enough across the country to be practical and I use my iPad almost exclusively on wifi as it is so this is not a huge deal to me. My 3G data plan is not even active. If 4G is something you really want it might make more sense to get a mobile hotspot or hotspot capable 4G phone and not just be limited to the iPad. 3D I have to say is probably unlikely, especially when combined with the Retina display. People are already in disbelief that a mobile processor could power a 2560x1920 screen to start, 4x the resolution of the current iPad. If you were to go 3D you would effectively have to double that or in other terms it would need to process 8x what the current display demands. On top of that I don't think Apple would be wont to do it half-ass and I am yet to see a really cool/good looking 3D display.

14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be interesting if Apple releases the iPad3 in Sept (as some rumors suggest) as Sony is looking to release their two tablet/booklets at that time.

15. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends how many movies, photos, and how much music you want to keep on it. I have a 32 and am happy, but I know people who want to keep every movie ever made on the thing. Convenient but unrealistic if you ask me.

16. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I follow a similar 2 year cycle. But I'm going on the even side. :p iPhone 3G then 4 and iPad 2.

If the iPad 2 has the features you want then buy it. Otherwise you'll always be chasing the next one. Apple's been predictable with there release cycle. They will release a new iPhone and iPad every year.

17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do at least 32 GB, it’s very easy to fill up the 16 GB with images, video or music. On second thought I guess I would suggest the 16 GB if it is for someone who is not interested in technology and will not dump too much on it.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I bought the lowest-end iPad 1 last year, knowing that I would not keep it beyond the release date of the 2nd generation (I was fully planning to gift it to my dad, and he has no use for more than 16GB or 3G).

I now have an iPad 2 with 32 GB, which holds sufficient movies and books for my travel. I expect that I will do the same with this one as with the first -- gift it to a family member when something better comes out.

19. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would definitely recommend the 32GB version with exception for someone who really isn't going to use the device for anything other than web browsing or email.

So many apps now allow onboard file storage, dropbox, goodreader, ibooks for magazines, pdfs, etc. These files can take up a lot of space that wasn't INITIALLY intended for the device. It CAN be used just as a cloud ACCESS device, but with being disconnected on planes, remote, etc., I'm tending more and more to syncing files to the device.

Movies are running about 1.5-2GB each, you get some apps on there, some movies and one is really pushing it for a 16GB device.

I think the 32GB also held up it's price a bit better than the 16GB version in the secondary market prior to ipad 2 launch, would most likely be the same for the ipad 2

RSSrsvp likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello RSSrsvp. A few thoughts:
    4G- are you going to be in an area that has 4G, and will there be a data plan available that supports it at the price you want to spend?

Full HD- it is going to be very difficult for Apple to get that type of resolution out of the device- processor is the bottleneck here- and of course with a portable device energy consumption is an issue.

3D- no way. And would you want it even if someone can do it?

The answer really depends on what you are going to use the Ipad for? Most people are still very happy with their Ipad 1. Do you want/need the camera? If yes get an Ipad 2. I would wait otherwise- also competitors devices look more interesting every day.

RSSrsvp likes this.
  21. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me its not so much the hardware that decides what to choose. Im a huge fan of IOS from Apple, and love the intergration with my Iphone and Mac. I find the Android to be slow, and does not respond as fast. I have not tested the Xoom or the Blaybook.

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK- if you have some integration benefits with Apple then this is an obvious choice regardless of speed.

Redcap likes this.
  23. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    And with Apple's iCloud increasing the quality of music I expect many people will want more storage in the fututre...

24. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    The iCloud looks promising.
    I got the Ipad 1, a Macbook and an Iphone 3 (not 3GS even). The only Appleproduct im waiting for now is the Iphone5, predicted to be available sometimes this autumn(september?).

Actonma likes this.
  25. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect the iPad 3 and "iPhone 6" will both have a entirely new chip vs. an update of the Samsung chip the iPad 1/2 and iPhone 4/5 have...

Redcap likes this.