Is The Hyatt Regency Cancun Making This Intentionally Difficult?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by brucewil, Nov 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been Hyatt Diamond for about six months now and have found the hotels and the service to be especially good until this recent episode with the Hyatt Regency Cancun. I planned to take my wife and two adult children to Cancun for a long weekend in January for my youngest's semester break from grad school. (He will have just finished taking his CPA exam). We had two reservations at the Hyatt Regency Cancun. One room was booked on points and I had one booked on cash and was using a suite upgrade certificate. I booked it through the Diamond line. They said they needed a one night deposit for the cash room. I thought it a bit unusual that they actually charged me for the room on my card rather than just holding it as security. When I found out the new Zilara was opening, I called the Diamond line back and switched my reservation to the new property. The points for the first room were immediately back in my account. I waited a bit to see if the deposit was refunded, but after two weeks I realized it wasn't going to happen without a phone call. I called the Diamond line again and told them the story. She called the hotel, but it was a Saturday and the business office was closed. She said she would follow up on Monday and get back to me on Monday. On Wednesday, I hadn't heard anything so I called back. I finally got an email Wednesday from the woman who assisted me on the DL. She provided me with an email address for the Hyatt regency in cancan saying I needed to request my refund directly from the hotel. The Diamond line couldn't help. I sent an email (in Spanish) requesting my refund of the $200 deposit. I got an email back from the hotel stating I needed to fill out the enclosed form and FAX IT TO THE HOTEL IN MEXICO! What? I'm sure the fax call would probably be all of $1-2, but now it was the principle of the thing. Could it be that the Hyatt Regency Cancun is pissed at Hyatt for opening another property in Cancun and are taking it out on the people who cancel. This policy seems to make it easy for the hotel to keep the guests deposit even when they cancel two days after the reservation was made and two months before the actual stay. What's up Hyatt?

marcwint55, Kalboz and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the new and improved customer service of the 21st century.

3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dispute the charge on your credit card, include the cancellation number when you do.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also suggest tweeting hyatt concierge. They seem to have a lot more clout than the DL and emailing. I had several things taken care of immediately and off hours.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  5. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention Bruce. Can you please send us a private message with your Gold Passport number and stay details for Hyatt Regency Cancun?

marcwint55, Denro, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  6. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your prompt response and resolution.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    very much doubt this is the case & how would the Hyatt Cancun know you were doing such a thing unless they are exchanging personal information about you with the new property, so again, very doubtful.
    more likely

Please let this thread know how your service is with the Hyatt Concierge's offer above!

8. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are working on it now. I will definitely let you know when it is resolved.

marcwint55, Sweet Willie and Kalboz like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no way I would fax anything to the Hyatt in Mexico. I haven't faxed anything to anywhere in half a decade at least.

(that said, I enjoyed our stay at that property last year... not a big Cancun fan in general, but I wanted a few days on the ground before embarking on a sailing trip)

marcwint55 and brucewil like this.
  10. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cancun is a good place for my 23, 26 y/o to have some fun in the sun in Jan. All inclusive drinking did it for them! Lol. Personally I prefer the St. Regis in Punta Mita. Return trip for the wife and I in February. Also looking forward to seeing how Hyatt's attempt at all inclusive works out.

11. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same experience. I didn't fax them anything. I just called Amex and dispute the charge. But I don't think I deserved wasting so much time on this.

12. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    This still isn't resolved. Hyatt concierge is working on it, but having the same difficulty that I did. The hotel actually asked for my bank info to wire transfer the money. Yeah right.

13. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    They asked for my bank info too when I spoke with them. I said no way, just put it back on my credit card. He said then there might be a charge because my credit card might charge me. I called him BS and told him in no way I would give him my bank info. Then I proceeded to call Amex. The credit appeared within a few days.

14. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt concierge, are you listening? Not an isolated incident. They tried to tell you it had to do with changing banks. NOT!

marcwint55 likes this.