Is the Era of Flying Cars Just Around the Corner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link:
    "When was the last time you were stuck in traffic and wished you could press a button on the dashboard, turn your car into a helicopter and soar away from the rush-hour snarl at, say, 200 miles per hour? Yesterday, perhaps?

With so much talk these days about the seemingly imminent arrival of fully-automated, self-driving cars in showrooms, people might not realize how close we are to parking flying cars in our driveways. At least that's how Terrafugia Inc. sees it. The Woburn, Massachusetts, company has been working on flying-car projects for a decade and has revealed a design that takes off vertically — eliminating the need for airports altogether."

Gotta check out this video!

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40 and Newscience like this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    If we could go for just ONE DAY without some idiot pancaking another car, a big rig toppling and bursting into flames, or fender-benders at intersections that leave traffic backed up for miles, I might move my opinion on this from "stupidest idea ever" to "second stupidest idea ever" behind 11-abreast seating. Or possibly the DVD rewinder. Tough call. :p

JennB and satman40 like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    VFR Rules apply, let's hope it does not rain,,and all wires are buried underground,

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the training and licensing requirements for drivers/pilots is much stricter than for automobiles. I really do not want to be tailgated by a flying Escalade pumping out Hip Hop while the driver looks at his video.

timfrost and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    While flying is currently the safest way to travel, the advent of flying cars would in all likelihood dramatically affect that statistic...for the worst, at least early on.