Is the Delta Medallions and SkyMiles worth it to you and how much is it worth

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by WilliamQ, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

How much would you spent in MR and indirect hotel costs to move up your Delta Elite status

1. 1 level (between USD 500 and USD 1,000)

62.5%
  2. 1 level (between USD 1,000 and USD 1,500)

12.5%
  3. 1 level (between USD 1,500 and USD 2,000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 level (between USD 2,000 and USD 2,500)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 level (> USD 2,500)

12.5%
  6. 2 levels or more (< USD 3,000) - e.g. Silver to Platinum or Gold to Diamond

12.5%
  7. 2 levels or more (between USD 3,000 and USD 3,500)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2 levels or more (between USD 3,500 and USD 4,000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2 levels or more (between USD 4,000 and USD 4,500)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 2 levels (> USD 4,500)

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One can do MR to rake in the MQM (and incur hotel nights and time) or just buy up to a maximum of 10,000 MQM directly from Delta (per year) towards the year end.

We know the higher one goes, the better is the travel experience. Also, some of us (ME) really likes to fly and Delta has a good product, although a little pricey at times.

If you like to fly or has to fly and wants your experience to be better or just want to score more miles this year before the world (Delta) changes next year with the ticket based earnings, how much are you willing to spend out of the pocket for getting those miles / status.

I am talking about MR type of travel or leisure trips that you might not have taken except that upcoming changes tells you why not where you are flying for fun...

jbcarioca and anileze like this.
  2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't there be a choice of 'Nothing'?

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. I guess I will have to keep that in mind the next time I create similar polls.
    I was clouded by my own leanings.
    Being the final year to earn reward miles based on distance flown, I had also assumed (wrongly) that "most" might want to make 1 last sweep to stock up on the miles.
    Delta is right in saying though that since it is harder for the general customers to accumulate miles via flying (except for the HVCs to pays a lot to fly), current miles are now more "valuable" and hopefully they will stop rewriting the redemption charts.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You get just about get the equivalent of silver, less the bonus sky miles, by just getting the right credit card and paying for Global Entry-- so for someone who flies once or twide a month, where's the value from doing MRs/SRs?

DTWBOB

WilliamQ and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Nothing is what I'd pay, but I get Diamond anyway, almost all from flying AF/KL plus DL Reverve and the odd DL trip to the US, a couple or three times per year. Oddly, several crew members still recognise me; I do not know why, since I normally sleep on those flights anyway.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The value proposition also depends on what levels you're moving between. Nil->Silver might be worth less than Platinum->Diamond, for example.

WilliamQ, jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  7. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me the difference isn't Nil to Silver it's Silver to Gold in terms of the small benefits such as Priority Check-in. Having lost Platinum status after a zillion years, it's a rude awakening to fly as a Silver :( So I'll answer the poll selfishly, to jump one level.

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get platinum every year from my credit card, so I would be happy to pay $500 to move up to Diamond.

9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    On hind sight, this poll would be "suitable" for folks without access to Delta branded credit cards thus free checked bags, MQM due to spent , zone 1 boarding are all unavailable except to fly and earn the status... :(

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a "nothing" too. At more than 100 segments by the end of June I don't have much to mileage run for.

But next year my goal is to just hit PM. That would mean I've managed to actually have at least two weeks at home a month, which would be far more valuable than DM status.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a MM with "annual" silver as is my wife. We've both been diamonds for the past three years and have enjoyed the perks. The status has helped us in some situations. If I found myself short of diamond, I would definitely look at any options to achieve it.

marcwint55 and WilliamQ like this.