Is that a frozen brick or a sandwich?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Jul 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Morning,

I flew JFK-LHR (AA 147) yesterday in Y ... surprisingly, the flight was roughly 25% empty and passport control was empty too!

Anyhow, the breafast meal was fine. About 90 minutes out they served a small box snack comprising of a turkey and cheese sandwich, biscotti, and a mint.

Much to my surprise, the sandwich was rock hard because it was still frozen with no other real non-frozen ones it seemed. From the look of things, nobody ate it.

For those who've traveled in Y in the past on the day flight, is this normal?

Thanks!

uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had a few snack box sandwiches on AA in Y that I thought could probably use a bit more time to thaw, but never anything that was still entirely frozen. Admittedly my time in AA TATL Y is pretty slim, but I'm hoping you just had some bad luck and this isn't what AA is dishing out on a consistent basis. :eek:

uggboy, sobore and rwoman like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, frozen shouldn't be normal.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been offered very cold sandwiches occasionally. I thought that was meant as an encouragement to fly J. :)

sobore likes this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's this flight in J and F -- food, seats, and otherwise? I'm thinking of taking it too in the fall.

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't talking about this particular flight. I have flown many international AA flights and have memories of a few cold sandwiches.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Y, so I have no idea what the food was like for F/J pax on this flight. ;)

I like the daytime TATL - immigration tends to be quicker than the morning TATL rush and I get to sleep in my own bed once I get home!
    :)

Skye1, sobore and MX like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As you asking about J and F service on AA's LHR flights, or specifically on AA147 JFK-LHR?

9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    DD: I was actually interested in eastbound JFK-LHR AA flights. I assumed they use the same B777 planes. Any recent experience with those?

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most LHR flights are 772s but AA does fly several 763s from markets like ORD/BOS/RDU/etc.

The 772s have AA's standard angled flat business seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. F cabin features AA's Flagship suite which is four rows of four seats across that lay completely flat or can swivel/pivot if one wants to convert the seat into a mini office desk. Typically you are offered a pre-departure beverage (usually champagne/sparkling wine, OJ, or water) and after take off will be given warm mixed nuts, marinated cheese on toothpicks, or both. The meal served after takeoff features an appetizer (typically salmon/shrimp), salad with choice of dressing (salad ingredients made to order in F), a choice of three or four entrees, and a dessert course (typically made to order ice cream sundaes or a cheese and fruit plate). A light meal/breakfast is served just prior to landing and a glass of citrus accented sparkling water is advertised but rarely offered. The food and beverage offered in J and F is very similar though the F cabin does feature nicer china. F and J amenity kits are the same. J seats will have a duvet and pillow left at the seat for the passenger, F features the same items as well was PJs, slippers, and a thin pad to lay on top of the bed. FAs in F will provide turn down service for your seat upon request (theoretically....). Seats come with on demand IFE.

The 763s only offer a J cabin and features the same seats as the 772's J cabin except the IFE is provided by a Samsung tablet. The upgraded amenities such as pjs/etc are offered on this plane as well as the upgraded dining service one would normally see on the 772's F cabin. Overall a very similar experience with a few upgrades over AA's 772 J product.

Keep in mind that depending on when you want to fly, AA will be debuting its new 773 aircraft with upgraded cabins on the JFK-LHR and LAX-LHR routes. There are some improvements to the F cabin on this plane, and some downgrades to the Y cabin in terms of # of seats. AA's new main cabin extra (MCE) will be offered on these planes. The real winner on this new aircraft should be the brand new J cabin which will feature rows of 4 lie flat seats, all with aisle access. While the plane isn't flying yet, the general consensus already is that this is a huge improvement on AA's current J offering on the 772.

As a side note, remember that AA takes meal orders using the FEBO method in premium cabins, so Front Even Back Odd. If your flight is headed east bound chances are your flight will be even numbered, so select a seat toward the front of your cabin to guarantee your meal choice.

MX likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for such detailed review! It sounds very appealing, and sure gives me a good idea. Can't wait to see the new 773's! Their interior decor looks very attractive on AA's website.

12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure on 147, but if it's 142 you're referring to, the daytime flight, I'd take that over an overnight JFK-LHR any day:
    For the same reason posted above---mornings at T-3 can be a bit of a zoo, with all the overnight arrivals from North America, so yes, customs/immigration can be a bit shorter for the evening JFK arrival.
    I find the JFK-LHR overnight flights not sufficient time to get sleep. Even if one eats their dinner in NYC or at the Flagship Lounge, and takes their breakfast in the Arrivals Lounge, and/or even if one thus foregoes the dinner and breakfast services, between seats up time for take-off and landing seems only to be enough time for one to realize how much sleep they still need. A glorified power nap, really.
    The downside is that, depending on one's schedule, the day flight does take up an entire day travelling, which in some business contexts may not be ideal.