IS TD going to become Aeroplan's new CC partner

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...with-cibc/article12852318/#dashboard/follows/

Toronto-Dominion Bank is set to take over as the new provider of Aeroplan credit cards once Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce’s contract with the rewards program expires at the end of the year.
    CIBC and Aimia, Aeroplan’s parent company, have been in negotiations for months over the contract renewal and late last month CIBC announced that there was a possibility it would not seek a renewal and would instead launch its own loyalty card, much like Royal Bank of Canada’s Avion credit card.

Aloha-Rick likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. CIBC has rights of first refusal that's the reason for the opportunity to counter, but, in any event they will pay more if they bite.

4. As further news comes out it appears that TD will give more AE miles per dollar spent than CIBC does now.

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Life just got more complicated. It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out.

canucklehead likes this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll hazard a guess that TD would do this with their MBNA brand Mastercard ...

7. They told me today at my branch that they will have multiple Aeroplan cards likely a visa and a MC. I think the MBNA card will get morphed into one of their current products.

8. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have zero interest in getting stuck in a airline-linked card; flexibility and perq's are all I look for these days.

9. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aimia is required to disclose publicly that they're negotiating the deal so TD made the announcement as well. It's a conditional agreement for now.

10. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my CIBC one years ago and have zero intention of getting any card linked to errorplan.

I only keep my Amex one because it's free so long as I keep my Amex Platinum.

southender likes this.
  11. They feel the same way!!

12. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    YEGman, why so hostile to trading one AE banking partner for another. If you're so unhappy with Aeroplan then change can only be good. It either becomes something worthwhile, or there's no effect for you.

I think only good can come from the competition of CIBC and TD for the AP business. For one, we might see a US AP credit card again since TD is continually pushing into that market. 2nd, TD is going to spend a whole lot of dollars up front on buying miles and they'll then need to do a push to get new cardholders, this means bigger than average sign-up bonuses for new cards, and TD waives the fees on their premium CCs already for Select Service account holders. So, a new no-fee AP card (maybe 2) that likely fee-waived for the 1st year and more than likely possible to be waived permanently.

Not to mention CIBC is going to have to do some sort of promo to fight a mass exodus of current Aerogold/infinite cardholders (mostly their higher-limit accounts) to TD when those cards change to some new reward scheme. I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens.

TRAVELSIG and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:

This is what I am curious about as well.

milchap likes this.
  14. C
    CIBC will not spend $100MM up front to get that contract and will have almost 6 months to put their own program in place more or less. They can spend a lot of advertising money to try and keep customers in their new program.

Aloha-Rick and TRAVELSIG like this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well.... We've got Altitude, Distinction, CIBC is still waiving Aerogold fees until the end of August, and it looks like TD is taking over next year. The stage is set, let the games begin!

tomh009, Aloha-Rick and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CIBC isn't giving up completely as was noted in the PR:

There are however ongoing active discussions among Aimia, TD, and CIBC about a broad framework that would see CIBC retain cards held by their existing banking customers, which represent about half the portfolio. TD would acquire the remainder. All parties will work vigorously to try to reach agreement, complete due diligence and finalize definitive documentation by Aug 26, 2013. There can be no assurances that an agreement will be reached.

YULtide likes this.
  20. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone figure out the TD/CIBC chaos ?

YULtide, LETTERBOY and guinnessxyz like this.
  21. I hear it will take a judge to undo the CIBC/AIMIA structure

LETTERBOY and milchap like this.
  22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the speed of the courts, this could go past the deadline of I jan 2014.

YULtide, guinnessxyz and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. LETTERBOY and milchap like this.