Is SWU worth using for LAX- HNL or back?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Dec 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    SWU open up for my hawaii trip and I am debating if I should use it for fam of 3 or stay on my MCE seat assignments. We only have 1 more trip later to China but have enough to use on that trip. Any feedback; by the way, it will be a 767 not 757.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have nothing else to spend them on then why not? The other options would be letting them expire or giving them away, right?

Is it the absolute best value for them? Of course not. But that doesn't mean there isn't still value there more than the alternatives.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree with Wandering Aramean, value is relative. You could "get more" from it, but only if you have an itinerary that you can apply it toward. If the SWUs will expire and you have nothing better to apply it to, go for it.

4. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply but my other curious question is, can I apply the SWU to my wife n kid n being EXP, can I request an upgrade on my ticket? Just trying to save the SWU.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing to stop you from applying to family but not yourself, but you could potentially end up being split up if the SWU(s) clear and you don't get upgraded. Make sure to check with the EXP desk if your flight is eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Can't tell from your first post if you have only one SWU. If so, you could only apply to one person, presumably your spouse and then request comp upgrade for you and child. Again, rolling the dice on if you'd be split up, but at least you could only accept comp upgrade if you and companion both clear.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't he be? Unless he's on an award ticket or non-reving, he should be fine.

7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't think of a reason why not, but not being EXP, I can only refer to the AA web site, which references eligible flights, and other posts for my information.

As I should be a fauExP by end of year thanks to DEQM, could someone share what does not constitute an eligible flight for comp upgrade (other than aaward tickets or non-rev)?

Edited with commas for clarity in that poorly written first block.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mine was more of a rhetorical question. ;)

The Flyerguide covers the fare classes you can be booked into and whether it's eligible for upgrade (2nd column) here: LINK.

flyforawg likes this.
  9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    So looks like TRYING2BPLAT should be good then.

Great link. Thanks. (had to remove from the quote though due to low post count).

10. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    just to close the thread, I split the PNR to 2 and 1 and applied for upgrade, in 2 hours got an email confirming my upgrade for 2 so I called AA to confirm my wife for SWU and got it, so now I got 3 upgrade from LAX to HNL instead of using 3 SWU as originally planned.

thanks everyone for the info specially to Destination David, the true AA connoisseur.

flyforawg and Wandering Aramean like this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think I did anything special in this thread at all, but enjoy your upgrade and certainly enjoy HNL. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    I know but I read your reply to all the question n its like reading a blog.

13. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    I know but I read your reply to all the question n its like reading a blog.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence. Enjoy HNL, and make sure you get out of the city and enjoy some of the less touristy parts of the island. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.