Is Summerfield Emeryville calculating taxes correctly?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This looks similar to an issue I encountered with the Hyatt web site and Hyatt Place Dublin a year or two ago where both the sales tax and occupancy tax were calculated when booking on the web site (in that case I did not make any bookings there until it was fixed).

Emeryville does have a 12% occupancy tax. I'm used to being charged a variable occupancy tax around the Bay Area but not the sales tax which can be upwards of 10% depending what county you are in.

Looking at Summerfield Suites in Belmont, for comparison, looks like they also charge 10% occupancy plus sales tax on a test web booking. Jump to Grand Hyatt San Francisco and there is a 14% occupancy tax., 1.5% local tax (might be the CA tourism fee), and no sales tax. I have an upcoming booking at Hyatt Santa Clara also without any sales tax (shows 9.5% occupancy tax and $1.14 local tax which I suspect is the CA tourism fee).

This might be a web site error again as clearly all properties should either be charging CA state sales tax or not charging at all (which has been my experience with Hyatt). I'll avoid this property for the time being.

For a prepaid stay this weekend in Emeryville almost 22% in taxes:

Total Per Room 81.00 USD
    Additional Charges
    9.750 Percent tax
    12.000 Percent occupancy tax

Total After Tax

98.62 US

sniklec and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they should charge sales tax since they aren't selling any goods.

Though this is 16 years old, this decision of the State Board of Equalizations came to the conclusion that Embassy Suites shouldn't be required to collect sales tax on the "food and beverage" offering included in the room rate.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/legal/pdf/96embassysuites.pdf

It also makes it clear that they are providing a service by renting rooms, not selling shampoo and food.

Disclaimer: I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant :)

3. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw that too and wondered what was up, eventually deciding to avoid the property on an upcoming SF visit. It's too bad, because it's obviously an ideal location for Amtrak and somewhat convenient to OAK.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be worthwhile calling the hotel and pointing this out. Or paging Gold Passport Concierge to look at this thread.

5. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Geez...I was going to make a reservation for sometime in the next few months but I guess I'll have to see how things play out. Thanks for the heads up.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me wait a few days and see if they fix it on their own. They did that when I previously posted on TOBB about HP Dublin.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it's calculating correctly for a prepaid stay this coming weekend. No sales tax added on.

Total Per Room 101.00 USD
    Additional Charges
    12.000 Percent occupancy tax

Total After Tax 113.12 USD