Is SPG behind in airline partnerships (except with Delta)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by slalom, Oct 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been staying at Starwood for a while now (Platinum), but I'm also diamond at Hilton.

I had a recent 4 night stay at Hilton and I checked my HHonors account - I got a ton of HHonors points (I know 1HH does not equal 1SPG point), but I also got over 1,000 points on Aeroplan. I could have had points on virtually any airline (Delta, American, United, .... a rather lengthy list).

Got me to thinking that I've missed a lot of airline points because 1) I've switched my loyalty to Starwood, and 2) I don't fly Delta (doesn't work for me).

Am I missing something?

uggboy likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what happens when a hotel chain tries to pick an airline for you. :D
    It ends up being a nuisance and distraction.
    To me the single critical issue in the "loyalty" relationship is predictability. The points must retain their expected value until the time I'm ready to use them.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    KENNECTED and uggboy like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never could understand why some think all programs should have exactly the same features.
    SPG gives you the option of getting Starwood points or miles in the airline of your choice ..they just don't allow you to get them both on the same stay.
    Most astute collectors I know consider hotel points to be more valuable than the flood of airlines miles being dumped on the public .....lets face it 100 or 500 miles is not worth worrying about in the FF world.

Plus while they might appear to be independent of the programs involved ( that fact is that they are not) the use of the SPG Amex will covert points into miles on just about every airline
    with a 20% bonus . The HH Amex does so into much fewer airlines and at a much worse exchange rates.

Select the options which work best for you.

LETTERBOY and KENNECTED like this.
  4. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't saying that programs should have exactly the same features. Reading all of the debates about which program has seen the greatest devaluation is indication enough that there are differences across programs - I'm not good enough at calculus ever to figure out the best program, let alone optimize across programs and will tend to accumulate hotel points most convenient to where I need to stay, and airline points for the best service on the routes I travel.

I was just observing that there is a disproportionate benefit available only to a select group of SPG customers - those who are Delta FF - that is not available to others for providing SPG exactly the same amount of business. Other programs, such as Hilton, don't appear to have this bias.

Plus I do a lot of short-haul flying....achieve status on segments, not miles....so every 500 miles helps!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the very recent exceptions of SPG/Delta Hilton was always the only program to offer split earning that they call "Double Dipping".

In terms of "being behind" in airline partnerships - SPG was the first to form a closer partnership, and marriott/united the second. There seems to be more momentum toward closer partnerships than there is to duplicating Hilton's longrunning "Double Dip" feature.

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question, is Delta/SPG really the first? Are the loyalty programs just "reinventing" and updating previous ownership situations?

• Air France owned Le Meridien.
    • Swissair on Swissotel.
    • Pan Am owned Inter-Contiental.
    • I think, TWA or American may have owned Hilton for a short time?
    • JAL owned Hotel Nikko

Thoughts?

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Westin/United also

First in the "current round" is probably more accurate, and maybe with more of a focus on the loyalty programs in particular.