Is South African Airways Really This Good?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Extra Pack of Peanuts, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got 100k MR points and I'm looking to take a Star Alliance trip. I've noticed that MR points transfer to SAA. I also saw somewhere that SAA doesn't charge a fuel surcharge on any of their own awards tickets or partner ones. If this is true, then isn't this the best Star Alliance option for MR points?

So the questions, which are very basic:

1. How long does the MR to SAA transfer usually take?
    2. Can SAA miles be used on any *A partners? (I'm assuming yes, but I've never actually used SAA myself, so just checking).
    3. Does SAA really not have any fuel surcharge, meaning I'm only paying the small amount in taxes?

The whole point is to take a trip on Continental from the States to the Middle East and this plan seems an awesome one if all my assumptions are correct. Thanks for helping!

2. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    If SAA doesn't charge fuel surcharges then they have a few nice gems in their award chart. For instance, North America to Europe is only 85k in business.

Extra Pack of Peanuts likes this.
  3. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Which award chart are you looking at? Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I can only find this one here:

https://www.flysaa.com/us/en/voyager/AboutVoyager/flysaa_VoyagerRewardForMiles.html

The only thing I can find for between Europe and North America is flying Emirates, and it is showing 80k, which I believe is one way.

Also, I'm still a little confused about if you fly with a Star Alliance partner. I'm assuming they use the standard Star Alliance partner chart.

4. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found their *A chart here.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? Every *A FF program has different charts, not only for accruals but also for redemptions. The only thing that's standard is the list of airlines that are *A partners.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just took a quick look at the MR site and the only SAA redemption I see is for a coach award or a companion award, not a direct mileage transfer. What are you looking at?

7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Whoops, I misread it. Thanks so much for correcting me. I thought that this was too good to be true, hence the posting...turns out it was. Thanks for setting me straight. You're right, it doesn't directly transfer, it can only be used to buy the economy ticket.