Is South Africa safe for Solo Travel

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Houcha, Dec 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. do I have to travel in a group or can I travel solo.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big country. Where do you want to go?

3. cape town and garden route and camps

MX likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience is a bit dated (year 2000), but we were two couples traveling around Cape Town, Wine Country, Garden Route and I never felt that it was dangerous (other than my friend's driving at night).

My wife and I then split off, flew to Jo'burg, rented a car and drove to Krueger Nationalpark. My wife did not like the drive. Admittedly I took a less traveled side road away from the major freeway (at the time... might have changed) to one of the western entrances that took us for about two hours through rural villages that to her looked sketchy. I personally was fine and just amazed that my GSM phone had reception the entire way when at the time I couldn't get decent coverage a few miles north of the Golden Gate bridge ;)

Jo'burg itself at the time was considered a place best avoided. We stayed at an airport hotel after our flight arrival and drove straight to the park the next morning.

Would love to go again to the park... and wouldn't go with a group.

Since you mentioned camps... don't those typically provide transportation/pickup or offer to arrange it?

Flyer1976 and MX like this.
  5. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been to SA 4 times, twice solo... With usual precautiouns you should be fine... Just be careful around airports, stations, etc. and dont ealk around the cities during the night...

Flyer1976 and MX like this.
  6. I have heard in guide books and horror stories about people being raped and killed. I am not going to Townships. Thinking of using Heritage Tours to create a solo route. Thinking of eating at Test Kitchen and Le Quartier Francais

7. I am a chef and a real foodie

8. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Botswana (Okavango Delta and Chobe), Victoria Falls, Kruger/Sabi Sands, Capetown, Garden Route and J'burg last year in my own. I worked with Rhino Africa to help coordinate my itinerary so that I wasn't driving - I hired a private guide for a day in J'burg before my flight and did a tour (only two of us) for three day garden route as I didn't want to drive alone. Have posted on my site part of the trip so far. Capetown is easy to do but with any travels need to be aware and not take crazy risks alone.

9. Crazy Risks as in