Is soft landing gone for 2014?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Sep 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since we are going into the last quarter of the year, just curious if AA soft landing gone for 2014?

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyforawg likes this.
  4. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely being discontinued. The debate in that thread largely over whether previous to this change, soft-landing applied to ALL AAdv elite members-- regardless of *any* other factors (Country of residence, activity in a given year previous to soft-landing, revenue, etc)-- and the answer is/was unequivicilloy-- YES, ALL AAdv members until this change would always receive soft-land despite any claims to the contrary-- the system was programmed in that, exact way. Confirmed at the highest levels of AAdv.

The question at this point is if the new policy will be as universal-- that is to say, will there still be case-by-case exceptions to "no soft landing"-- and that's still open to debate. Personally, I'd bet there will be.

But zero question, soft-landing is discontinued.

flyforawg and Mike Reed like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks, Jon. The clarification is appreciated! This makes BusinessExtrAA and being able to gift gold status that much more valuable.

flyforawg likes this.
  6. ORDEXPWANNABE

ORDEXPWANNABE Active Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I confirmed with the EXP desk yesterday that "soft landings" are indeed out. Without a mileage run (or some add'l late year West Coast travel from Chicago) I will be at risk of dropping from EXP to GLD (due to changes in my company travel schedule this year vs. last year)...yikes! 150K miles to lifetime platinum...looks like I'll need to plan better for next year and get some long MRs in early in the 1H '14!

flyforawg likes this.
  7. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    sad to hear if discontinued, not much travel this year so I will be dropping to gold. hopefully next yr DEQM will come back or plan a good mileage run.