Is SFO VS Clubhouse Still Available to VX Passengers?

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by Explore, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that VX is now in a different terminal, I'm wondering whether lounge access is still an option. If so, what is the fee? Do only VX first class passengers have access? What are the operating hours?

Thanks.....

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can still get in. You still pay the fee...and now have to change terminals to do it. Moving between terminals can be done indoors, but is landside.

VX pax still have to pay the fee.

The Clubhouses are among the most enjoyable lounges in the States. If you have more than an hour to kill - and are going to eat and/or drink - it's worth it.

Note that the AA/VX terminal at SFO is also one of the nicest in the US. I've been there twice since it opened in April and was really impressed. Many have called the airside portion lounge-like unto itself, which may call into question paying to visit the Clubhouse.

Here are the details:

San Francisco (SFO) Clubhouse

Access: All confirmed First Class guests, Main Cabin Select guests, and Elevate members are eligible to purchase Clubhouse access.
    Hours of Operation:
    • Beginning March 27, 2011:
      4:00pm – 7:15pm (PDT) (on Monday, Tuesday, Saturday)
      3:00pm – 6:15pm (PDT) (on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday)

Cost: $35
    Tickets: You can purchase your clubhouse pass during online check–in or at the airport.
    To get to the SFO Clubhouse, follow the signs to the International Terminal, turn left before security, enter the corridor next to the museum, and take the elevator to the 5th floor.
    PLEASE NOTE: The SFO Clubhouse is a short 10 minute walk from the new home of Virgin America, Terminal 2. Plan extra time to clear security before your flight.

Rules:
    • Children under the age of 12 are not allowed in the Clubhouse.
    • Guests must be flying a Virgin America flight within 90 minutes of the hours of operation of the clubhouse to use the facilities.
    • Hours may vary and are subject to change.Refer to the grid above.
    • Purchase of the Clubhouse pass is for the purchased date and Clubhouse only.
    • Clubhouse is open to First Class and Main Cabin Select in all cities and Elevate members in SFO only.
    • Amenities differ between Clubhouses and are subject to change.
    • No pets are allowed in the Clubhouse.
    • Guests must present the Clubhouse pass and their boarding pass at the entry door of the Clubhouse.
    • Picture ID may be required for entry.
    • Clubhouse staff reserves the right to refuse entry who is deemed unsuitable by Staff (this includes but not limited to guests perceived to be under the influence of alcohol/drugs, offensive general attire or unruly behavior).

3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, appreciate the info. I take it that the lounge serves full meals - are they buffet style or sit-down? What food is on offer typically? Are there any other unusual amenties?

NYBanker likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are sit-down meals with a menu. Light lunch sort of stuff (which fits the time that the VS flight to LHR is departing).

The booze is top-shelf.

Having been to the UA International First Lounge and the VS Clubhouse at SFO, if I had to pick the club I liked best, it would be tough... but it would be the VS Clubhouse. :eek:

5. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be shocked if anyone picked the UA F lounge.

NYBanker likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than the BA CCR at JFK, the Virgin Clubhouses are probably the best lounge experiences in the United States.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to the EWR one? :eek:

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've been to the AS lounge too. I am not picking that one. That is a somewhat less difficult decision. :p

Hmm. That's not saying much for United States lounge experiences, is it- that it's the foreign airlines who do a better job? (People also say nice things about the LH lounges at JFK/IAD.)

9. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey! I rather like the AA Flagship Lounge at JFK. But I have used the VS SFO Clubhouse. Best U.S. Lounge I've been to.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like I need to visit the VS Clubhouse sometime soon =D

11. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clubhouse Access Terminated at SFO?

With a VX same-day ticket near lounge operating hours, while checking in at T2 I was just denied the option to purchase access to the Clubhouse as an Elevate member. The check-in agent said they'd discontinued Clubhouse access in favor of encouraging people to use the T2 AAdmirals Club ($50 for a hugely inferior product and no included meal service)...The agent checked with her colleague, who agreed that Clubhouse access was no longer available.... I pointed out that SFO Clubhouse access was still prominently indicated on the VX website, to which the agent replied they'd have to remind the right people to remove it.
    Should I have gone directly to the Clubhouse and paid $35 there, or has VX really discontinued Clubhouse access at SFO?
    BTW, I've been on hold waiting to make a reservation with VX for at least 20 minutes now. Is this carrier failing?

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can't pay $35 at the Clubhouse, VX gives you a pass at the counter that you show to the Clubhouse attendants.

This is... disappointing. :/

13. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the VX supervisor at SFO admitted that VX customers still qualify for the Clubhouse there. But VX continues its record of poor information by posting outdated hours of service on their website, where a big display page continues to hype the Clubhouse. According to VX, the Clubhouse is open from 1600 to 1915 on Mondays and Tuesdays. In reality, the VS flight departs at 1630 and the lounge is open from 1230 to 1630, according to the VS phone agent.

14. adlibitum

adlibitum Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone on a VX ticket used the VS Clubhouse recently? Any issues getting option to purchase pass at online checkin?

Thanks