Is Retiro safe at night?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by jfhscott, Oct 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be arriving at EZE late on a Saturday night.

I have no general objection to taking the bus from EZE to Retiro and walking what appear to be less than half a mile to the Marriott Plaza. But as an obvious tourist with bags and all, I'm certain I would be a preferred target.

(1) Is this walk safe at, perhaps 11:30 on a Saturday night?

(2) do taxis at all queue for the busses coming from EZE (I am gracious enough to pay a premium over the typical .5 mile cab fare)

(3) should I just pay what it takes for a taxi from the airport?

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If money is not an issue, take a taxi from the airport.

The walk is probably safe, but I would not recommend doing that anywhere that late at night with baggage.

jbcarioca, jfhscott and NYBanker like this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I suppose I'd be a beacon for the wrong element.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not walk from there.

(1) It can get pretty shady at night and I feel it is always better to be a bit more cautious here, Buenos Aires, then to regret it later. It may not be dangerous but it is putting yourself out as a target when it is not necessary to take that walk.

(2) The taxis do queue but try to get a Radio taxi, they have phone numbers on their doors, as they are more trustworthy than cabs that have no radio company. Premium is my favorite when I go to the airport.

(3)Taxi from the airport is about ARS$200 or US$43 at 4.61 ATM exchange rate.

I would recommend skipping the hassle and going from the airport by taxi but it all depends on your budget and level of desire to get to your hotel.

When are you coming?

I am here until November 6th so let me know if you need any other current events about the city.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are super familiar with the area, I wouldn't walk it, because even with a map, you could get a bit disoriented when a bus drops you off, etc. With the new taxi fares and even higher night rates (by worldly standards, they still aren't expensive), you'll still be dropping a few $ for a very short ride at that hour, and if there is any issue, such as horrible weather, you are relatively screwed. The bus fare is what, AR$80 now, plus another AR$20 for your late night taxi (plus wait, transfer of luggage, etc). v. AR$200 for a taxi nonstop? If cost is an object, scrimp a bit on your first couple bottles of vino tinto.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forget the walk....... a Taxi is a smart and small investment for a big peace of mind return....

jbcarioca and Bay Pisco Shark like this.