Is Qantas Club worth it?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by serfty, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently it costs $840 to join Qantas Club for one year ($470 to renew).

Given the reduction in benifits that are occuring is this really worth it these days?

2. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it didn't come as part of being a gold FF member, I would seriously question whether I would stump up the dollars to buy the membership.

3. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't worth it before, it certainly isn't worth it now.

<rant>
    That's why I think QF would rather see more paying members in the lounge than SG's or WP's, even if these are the people that fly and likely to generate more income for QF as a whole.
    </rant>

4. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must admit that I joined QC years ago when I was only doing a few flights a year. The cost was quite a bit cheaper and I booked an around the world ticket and thought it would be nice to be able to access the lounge. While I was a member in the late '90s I had no other status but did get 2 long haul J upgrades so it was worth it for those along. I wouldn't rejoin now unless work was paying for it.

5. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I do not think it is worth.

6. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess like a lot of things it's a personal call. I have ~22 months paid QC 'on hold' since I've gained OWS/OWE status, so if/when I drop back below that, I have the QC membership to fall back on.

Who knows what the situation may be in x years time when I drop status and use up the existing 22 months' worth of membership.

Were I contemplating joining from scratch (i.e. not having experienced the benefits) right now, I doubt I would, particularly now that priority domestic checkin has been removed as a benefit (IMHO it is not far behind lounge access as a benefit when checking bags, though NGCI may change the dynamics a bit).

In fact, when I first joined it was at a ludicrously cheap corporate rate - I doubt I would have joined at all at the regular rate. But having had the lounge/checkin benefits, I have subsequently paid a lot more (still somewhat discounted) than back then - it's very hard to let go. [​IMG]

7. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I joined in 1994 for (I think) ~$420, so it has not changed that much in relatve terms.

But back then it was a "CLUB", people making telphone calls with their Bricks and leaving ½ full glasses when their flight was called.

Back in those days the QP was between G1 and G3 in MEL, what is now the G16 lounge in SYD, the current CL in BNE ...

Traveloguy likes this.
  8. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the removal of intangible benefits (priority checkin etc) is making it easier to do a value calculation as you can almost just divide the number of annual visits against the cost and determine if that money would be better spent at a bar, or elsewhere, in the terminal.
    Like many gold/plats I have a membership on hold. At a corporate rate - I would still view it as possibly worthwhile, more so for someone who could claim the GST back or a tax deduction for the fees.

straitman and Traveloguy like this.
  9. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I first joined Qantas Club in 2002 I thought the $450 or so for corporate membership and joining fee I thought the lounge access, preferential seating and priority check in were all worth the benefit.

With the recent changes in the program with removal of priority check in at some airports and lack of ability to secure a good seat at check in would sway me away from joining Qantas Club membership, especially at $840 including joining fee.

Once I drop back to a bronze membership with my Qantas Club Life membership I joined in 2003(there is a thread about it somewhere) I would hate having to line up with the regular people for bag drop. The Qantas Club membership in the beginning almost paid for itself in knowing I never had to line up for economy check in. I guess Qantas Club members will get the tag eventually.

serfty and Traveloguy like this.
  10. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly wouldn't pay year-by-year now; not with loss of priority check-in, degradation of the QCs at the expense of the J lounges, and continued increase in fees.

I still have a QC life on hold - but would consider contacting QF about a pro-rata refund if any further benefits are eroded!

Traveloguy likes this.
  11. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I don't think it's worth the cost.

Although I never thought it was really worth the cost. If I wanted consistent lounge access then I'd be working to get SG or higher rather than paying QP for it. At least at SG I also get ow Sapphire, too.

I have my own views about QP benefits being 'enhanced', however it's too early on MilePoint to post too boldly and expect to withstand the return fire. I also left my flame shield back at FlyerTalk :p (it was too heavy, so I had to check it in. Then they misplaced it... :D)

Bundy Bear, tuapekastar and bluesky like this.
  12. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think it all depends on how much you fly and how much you value money and lounge access.

13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it’s getting very hard to use the membership enough to offset the cost, however if I drop back down from Gold at some point I think I’ll have to renew, and hopefully it wont be much more than it is now then.

I’m not sure Joyce thought it through when he started removing benefits of an annual income source so willy-nilly.

14. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No it is not worth it anymore, I bought a life membership when it was flight deck and feel that I have got value for my money. If I had to pay to join now with the reductions in benefits I would not even consider it. Even now I try not to arrive at the airport early so that I can go straight to the gate. In years gone by I loved to get there with plenty of time to spare, catch up with colleagues and have a few quiet drinks but those days are long gone.

15. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was the cost of lifetime membership back then ?

16. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I paid about $1,200. Certainly great value. [​IMG]

17. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a bargain, even accounting for inflation.

18. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    You must have paid for it a considerable time ago. Last time I checked when LTQP was around it was around four times that amount.

19. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In those days it was not even run by Qantas it was TAA with Flight Deck and later my membership was transfered to the Qantas Club.

20. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's gone up that much? wow. I joined back in 2001, and I thought the $600 odd then was steep. I did get value out of it as I did a round-the-world on QF/AA/BA, so got plenty of lounge access from it. I then managed to get on the work corp program, and still have 6 months or so in storage after reaching SG/WP.

(I'm assuming acronyms from AFF and FT are going to be acceptable here, serfty? ;))

straitman and Traveloguy like this.
  21. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to say they're fair game; if we need to start up an abbreviations thread well that's easy enough.

You have to remember most of us are from already established boards, but we'll help out the newbies too.

Traveloguy likes this.
  22. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had to pay for it, I would question my own intelligence. Which I do enough of already. I obtained lifetime Gold years ago when I achieved 14,000 TC's, I think back in 2002. Given that I don't live in Aus anymore, I still do a dozen or so domestic flights a year on QF and I make good use of the lounge. But the recent change to anytime access would really piss me off if I was a Platinum. I mean, seriously, how much can it cost QF to allow their elites to use the lounge?

23. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, we're a friendly bunch (the other Sunday's "wake" proved that ;)).

Although I may need to re-think the Avatar, it's not working here very well.

Anyway, back on topic :D

Traveloguy likes this.
  24. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don’t forget though, that attitudes change over time. When you’re younger and up to a certain point, arriving early and drinking and carrying on is fun and seen as good value. And then you get to a point where you just get sick of it. I nearly got there recently when I did the Fiji run and was utterly sick of the lounges by the time I left MEL :p

25. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could very well be right, I did in my youth party in the Brisbane Lounge. In fact we would sometimes use our points to take short day trips just to do such a thing. The points were better value then as well, I am pretty sure that it was nine thousand (possibly eleven) for a return business class from Rockhampton to Brisbane. There is only one class now (economy) and is almost the same points one way. Those were the days.
    Now I do not drink alcohol so that is perhaps why I am jaded, you would not go in just for the food or peace and quiet [​IMG].