Is Paying for Miles Worth It?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by IberianNomad, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Folks,

I keep getting e-mails from various carriers claiming I should "purchase" miles as a gift or for myself. I even get the option to double my miles or purchase extra miles when booking a flight. For those of you who are much more experienced is this worth it?

The add also claim that the more miles you purchase the more of a discount you receive (bulk purchase). Personally, I think it's a waste of time but would like your in-punt.

Thank you!

M

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel it is usually not a great idea to purchase miles. It does depend on how you use them. It requires a bit of math to determine the value you are getting, in most cases not too great. Where miles can come in handy is when a fare you want to purchase is extremely high on a route you need to fly or fly regularly. If looking to sit in a premium cabin you may also be able to work out some value with miles.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Hattie105

Hattie105 Member

Status Points:
    I was considering buying points from Marriott Rewards as I have almost 20,000 points but the hotel that I will be staying in is 25,000 points. Any wisdom for me will be much appreciated.

4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if you're close to an award and need those miles or points. Or if the cost for the miles will be less than if you bought the ticket. Otherwise it's not really cost effective as there are lots of other ways to earn miles.

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have in the past purchase a few thousand miles to then book a bussiness class Lax-paris ticket, I was just short of the miles needed and tickets for my dates were available and i did not what to take a chance on them being there later, I would not however purchase miles just to purchase.

6. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would cost you $62.50 to purchase 5000 Marriott Reward points. Whether or not it would be worth the purchase, largely depends on the cost of the hotel you are wanting to book.

For example, if the cost of the hotel is $259 per night, you purchase 5k miles for $62.50, the value there is decent. Your 20,000 points are valued at .0098 per point. Compare this to already having 25k points in your account; the value would be .01 per point.

7. bayetya

bayetya New Member

Status Points:
    I guess it does depend on what you're buying them for.
    Had a look at BA where you can get a "reward" flight from London to Zone 1 Europe for 9000 airmiles plus £29. Buying 9000 miles costs in the region of £130, so total cost would be £160. Checked a random date for full paid flight and it was £102 - much cheaper to pay full price then.
    That may well not be the case if you're upgrading to Business, etc. but certainly not worth it for a standard flight.

8. Hattie105

Hattie105 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I would gladly purchase 25k points for Marriott, but the hotel where we are staying is a deal if prepaid at $149 a night. I think that a purchase price now has doubled or more.

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    emtesenair likes this.