Is ORC in invol reroute gone? (Original Routing Credit)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Seacarl, Dec 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA cancelled my ticketed flight, and rerouted me on a significantly shorter routing (I'd booked the longer routing intentionally.)

I wrote to 1Kvoice for original routing credit, and received the following reply:

I have received ORC in the past. Is this a new policy?

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read several recent reports from the last few months that e-mailing United usually got this form letter denying the request but occasionally worked, while calling the MileagePlus desk always worked.

I had the opportunity to try this out over the phone a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were flying DTW-IAD-LHR and CLE-IAD-LHR and because of two separate, unrelated cancellations we ended up doing DTW-EWR-LHR + CLE-EWR-LHR.

We called, separately, to get credit for IAD-LHR instead of EWR-LHR. (My wife was actually 97 miles away from 100,000 for the year, and I just thought I'd try it out for me for fun).

In both cases, the phone agents said that yes, they do original routing credit for involuntary rebookings and they'd post it right away.

In my case, the agent carefully removed credit for CLE-EWR-LHR and then carefully re-posted credit for CLE-EWR-LHR, a no-op.

In my wife's case, the agent she talked to actually correctly turned her DTW-EWR-LHR into DTW-IAD-LHR, again with about a one-day delay.

Call the MileagePlus desk (open slightly beyond business hours but not 24 hours) and they should be able to help you out.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had originally called the MPSC, but instead of doing what you described, they just gave me 800 bonus miles, with no PQMs and no lifetime miles. My original routing was about 800 miles longer, so I would have received 1600 RDM, 800 PQM and 800 lifetime. I'm not sure it's worth a big effort, but that was why I wrote to 1KVoice. It sounds like the pmUA way was to give ORC and the pmCO way was to only credit what was actually flown (had I known, I could have insisted on rerouting via IAD or SFO). It sounds like may be it depend on whether you get an employee who came from pmUA or pmCO if you call.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had great success with faxing in the request to the MPSC. Might be against TOS to post it here, but it's available on another bulletin board.

Like complaint letters, humble and brief are the key.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I just called the MPSC and they didn't balk at ORC. I don't need the PQMs for the ORC, but of course I'd like the RDMs and Lifetime.

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a "friend" who emailed 1KVoice a few weeks ago for ORC on an itinerary he took a VDB on, and flew a much shorter itinerary. The email reply that ORC would be granted came 6 hours later...

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weird. The email to me seems pretty definitive on this point. It certainly doesn't invite a response.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The policy used to be easy to find on the website and it was quite clear: If the reroute is on flights which earn in the MileagePlus program then that's what you get, even if the trip was shorter and even if it wasn't your choice. I cannot find the text now but I don't think that is because they changed the rules, just that they pulled the text offline for no good reason.

Even in cases of IRROPs in INVOL reroutes that was the policy. Getting anything more than that was at the discretion of the agent taking the request.

Alex still knows about the policy and her answer is in line with the previously listed one I mention above:

mht_flyer likes this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can attest to the fact that it didn't work for me. Although I was promised that the agent would make the request, and that I would get a response, I never received anything.

My case was somewhat different, as I was trying to get from ORD to SJO during the week of Hurricane Sandy. I called and offered to switch from my connection through EWR to a connection through IAH. I had to depart my Chicago hotel at 3:00 AM to make that new itinerary, whereas I had a 1:00 PM departure on my original booking. When I mentioned to the 1K agent that I figured I was doing us both a favor by changing it, she said, "Definitely."

Seems like ORC would be a no-brainer, but I did not get the miles nor the courtesy of a reply. There was a much more convenient option on Copa to connect through PTY, but they wanted me to cough up over $1000 for that one. That further confused my already twisted understanding of their relationship with CM.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, I don't need the miles for status. They did me a favor on the reroute as no forced overnight.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fax the MPSC (I PMed you the number). I have never been turned down on an ORC request with them.

Again, short and sweet and put a little humility in the note. Be sure to include the pertinent information such as the original routing info (including dates and flight numbers) locator, ticket number and the boarding passes (even though they are not for the credit that you are seeking). Do not mention your contact with 1KVoice, do this as if this is the first time.

Give them about seven to 10 calendar days to do it.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. I even have the BPs for the original canceled flights as I'd already checked in.... as well as the original ticket for the original flights.

13. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just requested ORC a couple weeks ago after misconnecting and declaring Trip in Vain. Did it over the phone, with no issues. sCO agent.