Is Lufthansa blocking Trans-Atlantic Business space from US Airways agents?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Mar 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am working on a points redemption and the toughest leg is getting back across the Atlantic from Europe. ANA is showing lots of business class space on Lufthansa from FRA to BOS and other destinations, but US Agents aren't able to see it. Could it be the agent I am working with or is this another case of *Net blocking??? Any tips or tricks or things to ask when I am on the phone with an agent?

downhillcrasher and uggboy like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can only do Wed/Sat travel on LH using US miles.

Usually, it's harder to do US-Europe with LH using US miles because the +1 day, which means US agents won't be able to see the intra-Europe flights.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wed/Sat...really!?!? That's nuts. Do you know why or just their *Net blocking?

uggboy likes this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that just TATL or all LH flights?

uggboy likes this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one exactly knows why they're blocking it. It applies to all LH flights.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    We don't know, but it's been Topic A on the giganto-thread for *A awards on FT for a year plus. It blows. But cheer up, you'll get BA soon with fuel surch-wait a minute... :(

downhillcrasher likes this.
  7. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also get AB for flights to Germany :)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH's revenge on US bloggers for proliferating the pool of US customers with enough DM to redeem for LH premium cabin space......

Sean Colahan likes this.
  9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was able to fix my booking and get home, booking LH FRA-BOS on a Saturday.

Now vacation routing looks like this, all in C.
    SFO-NRT United 744
    destination
    NRT-IST Turkish 332
    long layover
    IST-FRA Turkish 320
    overnight
    FRA-BOS LH 343 (thinking of changing to the 744 flight)

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your help, especially with the Wednesday/Saturday thing.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course, the bloggers have moved on to AV now... which is NOT blocked by LH. And the miles are actually cheaper. ;)

12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cheaper? US transferred miles were generated at about 1.15 cpm during their two sales last year, AV are 1.5 cpm when on sale.

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That assumes you have 2 accounts for transfers and an initial source of miles independent of buying them... at nearly 2 cpm. US miles purchase (as opposed to transferring between two accounts when you already have miles) has been more expensive than AV for some time now.

14. redtailshark

Status Points:
    AV is much harder to use than US for most N.American consumers; AV suffers from suspicions about Latin enterprise and a lack of understanding among the majority of how to generate/credit AV LM....don't take my comment to mean that I don't find value... I do, more greatly than you might think :) but I don't see the "widespread" exploitation of LM being very, well, widespread. I can't see how at the moment it would precipitate the same reaction from LH as it shows to US DM bookings.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  15. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt AV has some sweet spots but I'm not a fan of their routing rules. I'd rather have US' stopover and routing policy than deal with AV's routing and COS rules.

16. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Poppycock.

Lots of people have family/friends to transfer from. As long as someone has 25k, you can easily daisy chain, a number of accounts. Or do like I did, wait for a hotel transfer bonus to US. Don't get me wrong, I think LM are good for a number of things, and I have a modest stash of them. I just find LM a lot harder to use.

If US keeps their award chart after March 30th, and opens up nice OW inventory, then their miles will be much better than LM for the J/F intl flights I normally book.

17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I find the hotel transfer bonuses aren't as useful now that options like Wyndham are considerably less lucrative. (Transferring WR->US at less than .4 CPM courtesy of the Discover America promo and US hotel transfer promos, or Grand Slam... those were the halcyon days of 2011-2012.)

I haven't seen anything nearly this good in some time... care to share?

One thing that's going to inflate costs on US post 3/31 is the fact that AA has very little premium inventory to Europe (not as much as UA+LH). You'll be on AB/IB/AY... or adding those BA fuel scamcharges to your CPM costs of US miles.

This is why people have moved on to it; it's more under the radar and gets around things like the US/LH breach (which has been around for years, a LH executive basically called out US for selling cheap miles at a *A MegaDo, which is why I think there's such problems between LH and US).

AV's rules are not as much fun as the 6 continent US DM intra-region redemption in F for 40K... which I am sure people will keep trying to pull off as long as the US chart is there. But they do get the job done. And once we get forced into AA's rules (no stopovers outside of North America, must have published fare, must do the hokey pokey and put your left foot in), they'll be one of the only games in town.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Luckily I cashed out almost all my Radisson points before their devaluation. I wasn't using them, and the US bonus was attractive.

And since I rarely travel to Europe, the redemptions there don't effect me. It's Asia 80% of the time. I think it's very important to analyze a FF program and see if it works for you. So many people say X is the best plan, but it's rarely true for everyone.

The days of only flying to get award miles may be gone. In many cases, if you can get miles for 1 cpm or less through MS, airline shopping malls, it's a waste to do MR's. I care about sitting in a comfortable seat with some sort of good service. I don't care how I get that seat, as long as it's reasonably priced. Jumbo fares, mileage tickets or just a sale, they all work for me.

19. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, my brutal MRs in UA (prev. CO and NW) Y cabins won't generate the requisite RDMs for longer. But as Jaimito says, as long as I can redeem using MS or churn or other techniques, it's not too big a worry.

eponymous_coward likes this.