Is Leading Hotels of the World a true Leader?

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few observations we made in LHW member hotels during our stays with them and why we do NOT choose LHW hotels at the moment and NOT re-new our LC Membership with them:

Over the years we have made rather very mixed experiences with the LHW chain of hotels and add some thoughts too, when your are a LC Club Member like Access or Unlimited, Why?

Is it really worth it?

Our observations and experiences:

Westbury Dublin, offered upgrade, but in reality we received a downgrade, coffee machine did not function and the air-conditioning made everything warmer instead of cooler. Breakfast was forgetable, as was their service towards us.

Scotsman Edinburgh, no air-conditioning in our room at all, check-out at 11am! The said we must speak with the manager on duty to receive a late-check out, gues what they offered as late-check out! Noon!!! Yes, noon, very leading the way!!!

Royal Windsor Brussels, at the time a LHW member, dark rooms, long floors, the restaurant was great in food, but weak in furnishings plus the breakfast was of a low standard too plus the service!

Royal Myconian Mykonos, superb hotel, service was neutral, great breakfast and room-service, had even the choice out of 3 rooms to choose what we liked, excellent! Overall, a great standard, but surely not better as other Luxe Hotels on the Island.

Elounda Palace Crete, great hotel, small rooms, old tv's, super high upgrade prices for shard pool bungalows, expensive food offerings when not included in your package. Stayed twice and on our second time we had a bungalow, expensive, simple furnished, but still no shared pool even. Later saw at other hotels, same standard, lower prices, even private pool for the same price paid as here!

These were some of our experiences with Leading Hotels of the World, we felt it is not worth it to pursue them further for now, they offer not a better hotel in the sense and are in no way Leading!

Other thoughts we made about LHW:

- Payable Recognition progam, was earlier for free to join the Leaders Club
    - Need 5 stays for only 1free night at a LHW hotel, no points on offer
    - Hotel density is not good in terms of choice eg. Hong Kong, the Hullett House has only 8 or 10 suites and in Taipei they offer as only hotel the Sherwood [ A great hotel with wrong location for many ] plus in Singapore the uber expensive Capella. No real choice in our thinking of travel with them.

Of course these are only our experiences made with LHW and in no way can we speak for other people who even love LHW, but in our opinion for now, it is not worth it. Only when you like slight inconsistencies, not a great choice, at many times more expensive hotels with same or weaker standards, plus an paid LC member, only than I would consider LHW hotels in the future again!

theskyflyer and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their prices are much higher than the hotels' own published rates even with the same benefits!

sobore, bobsgt, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, this is what we have found too!:confused:

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to be a fan and it used to be the case that LHW and especially Leaders Club rates were frequently significantly below FHR (although with different benefits). For me, the tie-in with R & C was wonderful, although ironic in that I was treated better at R & C than LHW even though I belonged to Leaders Club from the early 1980s.

For me, I've rarely stayed in LHW ever since their badly botched 1928 promo. At the time, an executive told me in a telephone conversation that they would later be doing something special for their LC people to celebrate the anniversary but that never happened. I still resent having my time wasted by their incompetence as well as the promo being announced to me initially as if it were for LC members, not the entire world.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot believe that they lead in anything these days, they are deminshed by themselves and the LC benefits are not worth the high prices for overnight stays, plus they offer no points redemption nor better services for LC members, indeed the R&C tie-up is a great thing, but these hotels are differently run and they offer usually very high standards and extra services to every guest we found out, even to non LC members!:rolleyes:

sobore likes this.