Is Italy really that good

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamAlex, Aug 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I have sent emails to the hotels and awaiting responses. When should I go May or June or July August or September. Is a month too long and should I stop off at Dubai and Singapore.

I would love to thank you and will be posting my decision in two weeks.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking for perspectives on the destinations you listed or hotels in particular?

I personally loved Florence and Pisa, and will hopefully visit Rome soon. I find the people in Italy to be very welcoming, happy to teach you their language or use their limited English, amazing food, impressive architecture, and a sense of belonging even though you are in a foreign country. I have found the people in Paris to be very rude, but the landmarks, museums, and architecture are impressive enough to ignore them. :)

ariosto, YULtide and secretsea18 like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be a good idea to invest in a couple of those surprisingly informative guide books.

Another suggestion is when asking these vague questions (as you have done a number of times in the past) give us an idea of your interests rather than throwing out the names of luxury properties.
    Travel to other countries is a lot more than just spending time in (high-end) hotels.:)

And finally to answer your question yes Italy IS that good.:)

ffitalia, ariosto and MSYgirl like this.
  4. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a recent study that examined perceptions of the USA among foreign countries, Italy was towards the top of the list for favorable/positive perceptions - much of the rest of Western Europe (Greece, Germany, France, UK) was towards the top of the "negative" list. I can't remember the name of the organization that conducted the study or the news outlet that reported it, but it was very recent (past month or two).

My parents are off-the-boat Italians (literally) and much of my family is still there. Attitudes towards the USA, and Americans in general, are generally very positive. I highly recommend venturing outside of the typical tourist areas and staying at local B&Bs (vs. the chain properties). Italian hospitality is top-notch, and they'll treat you better than family!

5. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been Twice and already planning a trip with the kids to Florence, Pisa and venice. :) Cant get enough Capuccinos.

Yes in IMHO I Also think ITALY is that Good.

6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    After visiting 80+ countries, Italy is by far my favorite country to visit. So, yes, it is that good. On the hotel front, I have not anyone mentioned in post #1, but I'm sure they're great.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're a Hilton loyalist, the Hilton Molino Stucky is an amazing property. The 380 room hotel is a renovated flour mill located on the island of Giudecca, which provides stunning views of Venice. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to St. Marks Square (10 min boat ride). I stayed there a few years ago on award points (standard award) and was upgraded to a 2200 Euro/night suite. Architecture was beatiful, accommodations were luxurious, and service was fantastic.

There is also a Marriott property located on the northern side of the island overlooking Murano - the hotel is nice, but not a fan of the location.

8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes...

LarryInNYC likes this.
  9. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES! Very good advice!

10. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes Italy is that good We just spent two weeks there. I had Starwood points to burn, and originally book at the St. Regis Rome and then the Westin Florence. However, at the last minute based on the recommendation of a few friends, we rerouted and stayed in a BnB in Rome and rented a house in the Tuscan countryside. We booked both on airbnb.com. We had the entire BnB to ourselves in Rome for $94 per night, and had a fabulous house in the middle of a quiet olive grove in Tuscany for about $160 per night. It was a fabulous getaway, and my family and I can't wait to go back.

uggboy likes this.
  11. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at Molino Stucky on points in June and would stay again in a flash. Beautiful property, good breakfasts and just far enough away from the hustle and bustle in Venice (but easy to get there too). ALso got upgraded :)

ChrisUNC likes this.
  12. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a two week trip to Italy next April and considering the Molino Stucky again - also on points. What type of room did they upgrade you to?

13. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    A junior suite, I think. It had a king bed, small dining room and a sitting area next to that with a fold out couch (much appreciated as my daughter slept on that and we were able to cancel our second room and get the 50,000 points per night back, from the pre-devaluation booking days). Nice view too. I emailed and asked for an upgrade in advance.

uggboy likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, Italy remains one of our favorite places to visit. In the category of Luxury hotels, I would definitely recommend the STR Rome. We've had a few very enjoyable stays there. We also love the Hotel Danieli in Venice. Not sure if that qualifies as "luxury hotel", but we truly enjoyed the service and atmosphere.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry. St. Regis, Rome. Lovely property, impeccable service. We took the redeye over and were told ahead of time that our rooms wouldn't be ready at 10am when we arrived. There was no expectation on our part that we would be able to check-in when we arrived. We walked from the main train station, a pretty easy walk unless you have a ton of luggage.

Upon arrival, the rooms manager came out and profusely apologized that our rooms weren't ready. Again, no expectation of such. He invited us to sit in the lobby and order coffee courtesy of the hotel. He then instructed the restaurant staff to bring us menus and asked us to order whatever we liked, again courtesy of the hotel. At STR prices, I'm sure the 5 of us consumed over $100 of coffee, sandwiches and such. The rest of our stay was equally impressive from a service standard. I would highly recommend.

brucewil and uggboy like this.
  16. henrylexi

henrylexi New Member

Status Points:
    Italiano is amazing! So yes it's really that good. My personal faves is Rome and Florence.

uggboy likes this.
  17. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally love Italy..I went to Pisa a long time ago so don't have the best recollection, but I've been to quite a few places in Italy, Rome being one and I find it such a great city, so much culture and really beautiful surroundings! Stark contrast of the ancient ruins to the modern city which I personally love! I had a wedding in Lake Garda a few years ago which I found to be a great alternative, very quaint and picturesque, taking boat rides to Limone and felt everything was really authentic and traditional. Venice is another beautiful city that you have to see for yourself to really understand! I do really love Paris also, but i agree the people can be rude, but I find it extremely easy to get around and the metro system is fantastic there and very affordable, considering everything else is quite expensive (depending on what you do). All this talk of it is making me want to go back!

uggboy likes this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just my two cents, but we've managed to find a good number of enjoyable restaurants off the beaten path through Fodor's. Over the years some of those off-the-beaten path places have been discovered and became much more popular. I'm not advocating everything in the Fodor's books as great but we've been pleased.

tondoleo likes this.
  19. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    [crap removed] Go to amazon.com and search for travel guide books Italy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  20. JohnMackay

JohnMackay New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Adam have you considered Morrocco great place to visit.

21. Has anyone stayed in Bulgari London or is there a better hotel we are going to London? Then Paris then Italy. I am looking at JKPlace Rome and George V now is it worth the money. And what shows should I see in London??? In Venice Aman is getting mixed reviews so I am thinking of a different one ???. Also how many days in each should I spend in each city???

Espan, bez7 and tondoleo like this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can't comment on any of those specific properties, but I think each city needs at least a couple days. There's no doubt there are rewarding 1-day itineraries for each city but they'll leave you wanting more.

Espan, bez7 and Paolo Scuri like this.
  23. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't imagine any less than 2-3 days for any of those cities, and even that seems rushed to me....

Paolo Scuri and uggboy like this.
  24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd generally agree. But, if it's one thing I've learned from the travel enthusiasts over the years is that you can always schedule another trip. So, chipping away at a list of things to do in a city is a viable option.

Espan, Paolo Scuri and uggboy like this.
  25. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    For Venice, 2-3 days is enough, you won't have any problems covering what Venice has to offer in that amount of time

Espan and uggboy like this.