Is it worth re-instating expired MileagePlus miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by YULexpat, Apr 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULexpat

YULexpat Active Member

Status Points:
    I would appreciate some advice from the experts on this forum. My 9-year-old had a relatively modest 20,509 miles in her account that I inadvertently let expire on April 1. We have no immediate plans to book award travel, but probably we will be making some trips within North America and could book a single one-way with these miles. Is it worth paying $175 to reinstate them for later use? If so, should I wait until we actually need to redeem the miles within the 18 month grace period, or should I reinstate now in case the price goes up later? Thank you.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd grab them back now as opposed to waiting. That way they are there waiting and ready. Your child could even buy you a ticket.

3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd wait. If nothing else, the expiration timer probably starts again once you reinstate the miles. No need to let it strike twice.

As for value: $175 for a domestic one-way isn't spectacular, but it's probably worthwhile. It's a bit better if you'll (eventually) find a use for the remaining miles.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd wait until the need arrives and look into best deal on either a one way out and award return or reverse.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The amount could get her a domestic saver award round-trip without stop-overs of under 700 miles even now if that is of any use.
    Only reinstate if you are fairly sure they will be used. This process could get you thinking of a fun family trip or side-trip, however.
    I have generally been able to get 2+ cents per mile which could make the miles worth more than $400 so don't let them truly disappear unless you cannot use them. Too bad its unreasonable for a 9-year-old to have a credit card.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. YULexpat

YULexpat Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, all, for your advice. Much appreciated.

traveltoomuch likes this.