Is it worth it anymore .

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by diver1, Jan 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. diver1

diver1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a lifetime platinum member and stay at Marriott’s all over for more than 200 nights per year . As PL now I very seldom get upgrades , I never get the items I ask for to be in the room and there is not even better pricing . So I can get a much better deal on PL or Bookings etc . and sometimes stay in the same Marriott . I save on average about 50 to 75 bucks . per. I get most of my points thru my CC . So I do not understand why I care as I do not see an upside . So if I add up 50 per X 200 is 10 K per year …I can book some nice places for vacation with that and be at the same cost . Is there something I am missing ?

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a platinum member, although not a lifetime platinum and I almost always get an upgrade. I do always contact the hotel in advance to ask for it, but almost always have a nice suite waiting for me.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd save the cash every time even if I was getting a suite upgrade some of the times. I also probably wouldn't be staying at the Marriotts if I could save $10k annually by not doing so.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Between the breakfast/lounge access benefit and points, I can usually justify paying an extra $20-50 more per night at full service properties. If I'm going to be in mid-range properties, Priceline is usually the way to go.

I'm very much a fan of mix-and-match. When transparent prices are sane and I have status, I'll book transparent rates. Otherwise I'll use Priceline, and if I don't like the price I'm getting from Priceline, I'll fall back to award bookings. In the ideal case, I'd also consider redemption specials (e.g. IHG PointsBreaks) and loyalty program promos.

5. I have lifetime Gold with Marriott. I value the lounges when they are at a property (and open). I am spoiled by international lounges, however. By contrast, the domestic lounges are often closed (weekends) and have meager offerings. I only stay about 60 nights per year at Marriott but the last time I received an upgraded room (yes, I ask in advance) was over two years ago. My standing requests for extra towels and a fridge are met about 40% of the time.

6. randykahn

randykahn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Marc and Badger are right. I am Marriott Gold. I don't always call in advance. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. When it's important, say a hotel has some more expensive rooms that what I've paid for with a great view, for instance, I will call in advance. When I don't, I always nicely ask at check-in: "Do you have a nice upgrade for me?" Sometimes it's already been reserved for me, sometimes they make the upgrade on the spot. As a Gold, I seldom get a suite but I'll almost always get a larger room, a great view room, sometimes a whirlpool tub, etc. I consistenly get what the program promises. I find the benefits worthwhile. I've been both Starwood and Hilton elite in the past. Marriott does the best job of giving me the benefits they promise consistently of the three. But you shouldn't feel shy about asking; after all, we've earned those benefits! On those rare occasions when no upgrade is available, the clerks consistently apologize to me. However, if there is a large price difference, I'll generally look elsewhere, either to a lower category Marriott property or to a competitor.

uggboy likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I seldom get suite upgrades I do tend to get better rooms -- e.g. better views, concierge floor. That *is* worth a lot to me. I think some of us are so trained to equate a room upgrade with the presidential suite that we don't notice the little things like merely a "better than average" room. And yeah, the extra points and breakfast (usually) is worth a lot too in my opinion. And non-US lounges -- YES absolutely worth it!

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    IF you are a lifetime Plat, why do you need to care where you book if you only care about the perks? MR even honours perks for bookings through PL.

Most OTAs offer loyalty programme/cash back that matches MR's rate of giving out points, e.g. hotels.com - stay 10 get 1 free, which is pretty much like stay 10x $100 at Marriott, you get 15k points as Plat = 1 night in a Cat 3.

Booking.com has 10% cash back, which means that for $100/night hotel you get around 10% back.