Is it worth having two OW memberships?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Sammich, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have CX Gold and AA Gold. Is it worth having two memberships?

Next year I'll be flying on AS, CX, QF, FJ, and MU. The issue is that some of the points accrual only applies to specific programs (eg. CX doesn't accept FJ flights, but AA does)

The CX fare that I bought is not eligible for AA but it's eligible for CX. MU fares only apply for CX. and the QF fare type I bought only applies to AA.

My CX and AA elite statuses are expiring next year in July. So I'm a bit stuck in this situation here.

I mostly fly Economy, sometimes J, and once in a while in F. I don't fly domestic US THAT much.(and even if I do, its usually on Virgin) It's usually destinations internationally or HNL.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    adrianors and tondoleo like this.
  2. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you in Canada or can get a Canadian credit card? YVR being one of your locations, I guess so ;)
    If you need or want Oneworld status, then you can get it through a Canadian Amex Platinum card which will wige you gold with Marco Polo.

As to the question in the title of you thread, it is really difficult to answer as it depends a lot on how many miles you can accumulate in a year and what kind of reward you want to redeem for.

tondoleo and Sammich like this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Yeah I'm in Canada. I use to have the Amex plat. And before that the RBC CX Plat card. I can always reapply for an Amex plat once the sign up offers are better

I'm still not sure if I should stick with CX as it's pretty hard to get a flight award redemption (based on my past exp) Would award redemption on AA be better or is it the same procedure as CX? (Haven't redeemed on AA before) when I'm talking about award redemption, usually economy for long hauls. Thanks for the help! :)

tondoleo likes this.
  4. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may have to wait for a while if you're going to wait for a better sign-up bonus for the Platinum card, but who knows what Amex will do. Currently, you can get it with 50K bonus or through referral with 60K bonus (see my signature for referral links;)). I don't think it's ever been higher than that... in Canada; that's a totally different story in the US. :(
    That card (Plat) is not for everyone, though; it's more expensive than others, but you get more benefits. Also, you can get a $200 travel credit per calendar year, so if you get the card in 2013 you can use a $200 credit in 2013 and then another one in 2014 and it makes the card already $400 cheaper.

I haven't redeemed anything with AA, so I can't help you there. Here are links to see what you get with CX Gold/Sapphire or here also. My Oneworld flights now mostly involve JAL, but I am still very happy to have CX status for the waiting lounge and the business class check-in counter at the airport. Like you, I usually redeem for economy class tickets. ;)

Sammich and tondoleo like this.
  5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can get to AA plat, you get perks like 100% mileage accrual.

Have you gotten Op-Ups on CX before? The benefits are generally more discretionary than concrete, so some may have great experiences while others have poor experiences. I'm not exactly a fan of Asia Miles.