Is it worth getting an AA or UA credit card if I live in in ATL

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by bp1422, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bp1422

bp1422 Member

Status Points:
    I live in ATL and primarily fly Delta. I'm looking to get another rewards card and have seen some pretty good bonuses around. I fly almost exclusively Delta for business. I would probably only use UA or AA in the future or to redeem the signup bonus.

jralexander14 likes this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't go there. Especially with the amount of miles required for good redemptions and the credit card companies reporting some of these bonuses to the IRS...

3. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    What banks have reported credit card bonuses to the IRS?

harvson3 likes this.
  4. jralexander14

jralexander14 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been debating this same thing. I'm very interested to see if anyone else responds!

5. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there has a precident of that, at least for Chase or Citi. You may be thinking of the bank account sign up bonuses that Citi gave out and issued a 1099. But not credit cards.

There are a lot of great redemption opportunities. One off the top of my mind is 20k off peak each way on American to South America.

jwsky likes this.
  6. farhanmehta

farhanmehta Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd say there is a lot of value. UA and AA miles are easier to redeem in a pinch and though you will almost always need a connection offer great value while redeeming for trips to Europe (UA) and South America (AA).

7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it can be worth it. With good timing to get bonuses of 50k for each card, you can easily get 2-3 cards from Chase that will get you enough UA miles for a roundtrip business class ticket to Europe. Use those to fly Lufthansa and you don't even have to connect anywhere in the US, as LH flies nonstop ATL-FRA. With AA, you can double-up with the the 2-browser trick and use those for a trip to Europe via BA's nonstop ATL-LHR or to South America with a connection in MIA, which isn't too bad a routing anyway.

8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think getting UA miles basically for free is certainly worth it. Obviously that card is likely only a long term keeper for those who prefer to fly UA and can use the extra benefits it comes with (otherwise the annual fee isn't really worth it), but for the first year it is a no-brainer with the fee waived and miles awarded after the first spend.

autolycus likes this.
  9. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess my question would be "why not"? Even if you fly Delta mostly, Delta miles are usually valued less than UA or AA miles because they are hard to redeem for good rates.

I would certainly add some AA and UA miles to your personal stash since that would cover you for both OneWorld and Star Alliance. You could then fly pretty much anywhere in the world between those two carriers.

If you want a recommendation, I'd say go for the Citi/AAdvantage Visa and Amex double up. If you get the cards both at the same time, you can score 100k easy AA miles and be well on your way to a great vacation!