Is it worth buying up from Platinum to Chairman's?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by vicsan, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vicsan

vicsan Active Member

Status Points:
    Just finished flying for the year and have 89,900 miles. I get lots of upgrades on short hauls, but rarely long ones like DCA/PHX. Would the extra 3 days (7 days in advance instead of 4 w/ Plat) significantly increase my chances of a coast/coast upgrade? Thanks!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't fly international flights then it isn't worth it imho. Chairman's status is great when you fly a lot internationally since you get upgrades for flights to/from Latin America to the US then for flights to Europe and Hawaii you get two First Class/Envoy SWUs that can be used on any fare.

Titans26 and Sean Colahan like this.
  3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other CP's can confirm, but DCA-PHX is a tough upgrade even for CP's sometimes...but certainly being CP would increase your chances of an upgrade over being PP. That said, is it worth the cost to buy up? In my mind, spending $789 just to increase your chances of an upgrade on DCA-PHX is not worth the money, in my opinion. However, if you're going to travel US internationally, especially with a companion, then I think the buy-up becomes much more attractive.

When you do the math, if you would use all four of the upgrade certs you would get (two for you, two for a companion, I believe), that would work out to $197.25 per upgrade...which is a pretty great deal to go from coach to business (particularly if you get the Envoy Suite) on a TATL flight.

vicsan likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The award redeposit waiver is a fantastic benefit available to CP.

6. vicsan

vicsan Active Member

Status Points:
    we're thinking of going to HI next year, so maybe it'll be worth it for the companion upgrades, particularly if I can get em down to $579 since I'm just 100 miles short of 90K.
    JetsettingEric, can you explain what the "award redeposit waiver" is?
    Thanks

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're CP you can redeposit the miles from an award ticket without having to pay the $150 fee.

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would clarify this even further over the reply above and say that once you use miles to book award travel on US, it costs $150 if you need to cancel that itinerary and "redeposit" the miles into your account. That fee is waived for CP's.

vicsan likes this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say it depends on how many times a year you take the longer flights. If its 5 or more times a year, then the $579 cost is worth it. If it is less, then save your money

10. vicsan

vicsan Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been flying SW for years, I just switched back over to US this year and haven't booked any award travel with US in years, wasn't aware of that rule. That is a nice benny, Thanks.

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know I am buying up to Chairmans come January 2nd from Gold for the SWU's, the 100% bonus, and even better upgrades. For me its work the fee ($1499) is worth it for the SWU's alone...the 100% bonus and better upgrades are just bonus perks)