Is it weird to offer a stranger access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Goldlust, Jul 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    Now with my BA Gold card I have the right to bring a guest in to First lounges. I am thinking it would be a shame to let this food go to waste. Even when I am travelling alone.

Some places - like LHR T5 - I can ask anybody, who looks like they are travelling alone, whether they want to come in. In other places, I first need to ask them, whether they have a oneworld ticket.

Does anybody else find it a bit strange if somebody comes up and asks: "Do you have a oneWorld ticket?"

I have done this twice now to strangers; and it took a fair bit of balls each time.

Does anybody have suggestions as to how I might make this easier?

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:

Well, yes, it is weird. We belong to Costco, and they almost always have free food samples for shoppers. I don't know of anyone who solicits folks in the parking lot to see if they'll join them while shopping in Costco. And I suspect that the airlines offering their lounge amenities to their elite customers would not be pleased to read your post. Does their food actually "go to waste"?

jbcarioca, MX and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I respect your opinion of course. Let me see if I can offer you a better understanding of mine. Not knowing the details of Costco, I am not sure I can comment perfectly factually correct on this analogy, and I beg your forgiveness if I have misunderstood the details of that store. I would argue, that there is a huge difference between a random person in the parking lot (going through or from his car and the store?) and then the random person in T5. If I see a young guy who looks "normal" but a bit beaten down after a long haul flight, I think it not that weird to offer him breakfast. Maybe he can offer me a nice chat in return? Is that not how people regain their faith in the human kind? I could have chosen to fly with my wife, but on those solo flights it is not like the airline looses money or fun, because I strike out my hand to fellow man.

As to the parking lot, I think I would feel petty and silly to offer anybody inside for food samples. That would be like saying, "I am sure you have nothing better to do than taste petty samples in this store."

In T5 one is forced to be until one's plane leaves. Nobody is forced to be in the Costco parking lot. (I trust?)

Anyway, I certainly respect your opinion, and I suspect what you expressed is the opinion of the wast majority on this earth. I just wish people would befriend strangers more often.

4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered posting your schedule(s) in the Meetup thread? There may be some Milepoint members who could avail themselves to your generosity.

jbcarioca, anileze and Newscience like this.
  5. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    Certainly I will post in the meetup thread - my post were for the situation on those frequent occasion where no Milepoint member is there to accept.

jbcarioca and anileze like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think FT's BA threads has a more active meet up area. I think the challenge is how to make your invite come across smoothly. It would work better to start a conversation about something else, then once you break the ice invite the person in for a drink/food.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines presumably have a budget for their clubs. I doubt they budget for every eligible traveler to guest a random stranger in. So if everyone started "being nice" and befriend strangers, airlines would either have to increase the budget (funded by higher ticket prices?) or reduce the services offered in the club to everyone.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    preying-mantis-green-light%20%20Jan%202013.jpg

jbcarioca and Mapsmith like this.
  9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a very nice gesture. And personally, it is a benefit to bring a guest with you, so I dont view this as abusing the system. Probably not their intent, but you are within "the rules".

As for how to ask, thats tricky. Im a very untrusting person, so if someone came up and asked if I had a certain ticket, Im not sure how I would respond. But maybe something like this: "I am able to bring a guest into the lounge and I am traveling alone. Care to join me for (list benefits here)". I would personally much rather hear that.

10. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but as of now, this is probably done by 1 of every 10,000 visitors to the club. If everybody did it, we would live in a different world, and probably have different problems - whatever problems arise from people being kind to strangers all the time.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, and you are welcome to guest me in when I am camping out in LHR T5 for a few hours next month with no lounge access :)

12. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I think that is a great suggestion. Giving the reason (I can guest you in for free) first is a good way to ease tension. In some airports it would make little sense (like CPH) because oneworld flights are so few compared with all the others.

socalgecko, jbcarioca and vickers like this.
  13. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I will be in T5 on August 14 and August 20, if either of those dates can be of help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. howtofreetravel

howtofreetravel Active Member

Status Points:
    So close i am landing on the 22nd

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've thought about approaching this from the other direction: stand near a lounge entrance with my thumb in the air like a hitchhiker.

Thank you, Goldlust, for looking out for the less fortunate.

jbcarioca, Goldlust and anileze like this.
  16. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only guested in fellow travelers I've met on a plane. Both times we had to deplane for delays and I made the suggestion. Usually keep to myself on planes and when traveling, but it's nice to have a good conversation with a stranger now and again.

To the OP, I'd suggest opening with something along the lines of I have a lounge access I wouldn't mind sharing with you if you are interested in and have a OW ticket.

jbcarioca, WilliamQ and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    In your method, it seems pretty straight forward. If you had already made some rudimentary introduction to the passenger next to you and you have to de-plane for issues or layover, a simple "I'll be hitting the lounge. Would you like to join me?" The conversation can flow from there. :)
    I would appreciate such invitations unless I have plans.

flyforawg and jbcarioca like this.
  18. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think many people know the lounges and their rules and would understand (and be grateful!) if you asked if they'd like entrance. I think many others, perhaps those who are less frequent travelers, would think you're some sort of nut job.

You do seem to have a very diplomatic and well-spoken manner though... I suppose you wouldn't have to try TOO hard to get someone to join you. And I won't tell your wife if it happens to be a young woman.

19. Peter Silberman

Peter Silberman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm kind of in the middle. I have guested people where their passes did not allow the full group entry or when a flight delay is announced and I was chatting with people around me in line.

However, walking up cold and inviting someone is beyond my comfort level. While your intent is good, it's too easy to take the offer the wrong way.

WilliamQ, jbcarioca and Thomask like this.
  20. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not have BA Gold but Star Alliance Gold. If I am at the check in where they swipe your card/boarding pass and a family has 2+1 of course I would offer. When I checked in at some flights and people had to many kg's and were ask to pay extra luggage allowance I have also said just put it on mine I only have one suite-case but I am allowed two to the agent. Now this is a lot harder since yo have to do check-in kiosk. I have however said no to a stranger that wanted me to take a small package from Petersburg, Russia out of country. I am glad I did, he did not appear trustworthy at all.
    I would also not walk up to someone.
    But, I would appreciate if others helped me and my family with lounge and extra kg. Salvation Army slogan: "we see a need an we meet it"

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago i was is the Admirals Cub at GIG, since as it temporarily is, when I noticed a couple of men discussing a topic of interest to me. I joined their conversation and we had a good time talking for a half hour or so. My boarding time arrived and the Concierge Key representative came to pre-board me. She had noticed our conversation and quietly asked me if I'd like to pre-board my friends also. I accepted. My two new friends were mightily impressed and pleased with their good fortune and i was even more impressed than I normally am with the graciousness and helpfulness of Concierge Key people, at GIG especially.

So, was that within policy? probably not. Was that a low-cost gesture that made two Premium paying, low status flyers more pleased with AA? No doubt about that!
    As for the OP welcoming guests to the lounge, it seems to me they really don't mind. After all, they do not ask what relationship one has with the guests, only that one may bring them. I applaud your generosity.

As an aside, were I a denizen of Costco I'd probably not be inclined to urge random passers-by to sample their wares. if said passers-by wished to do so they could enter on their own IIRC, because even membership stores usually have arrangements for one day sampling prior to commitment. Airline clubs are, I agree, a different thing entirely.

Goldlust, Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  22. cchagadorn

cchagadorn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be weird if you just walked up to some one and said "Hey, wanna go to the lounge with me?"

I invited a stranger in once. He was dressed in business attire and was about to get turned away from the lounge because his annual membership had expired. I did it right in front of the lounge agents and they acted like it was nothing out of the ordinary.

Goldlust, Thomask and Newscience like this.