Is it true that AC will replace all A319 and A320 with Embraer?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by SQ LPP, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I over heard a conversation regarding Air Canada has a plan to replace all A319 and 320 with Embraer. The operational costs for A319 and 320 are more expensive than for E90 for example.
    Is this true?

DanJ likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not heard such a rumour. Other AC pax can confirm or deny?

The 175 and the 190 do not have range or the capacity to effectively do some routes.

DanJ likes this.
  3. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly haven't heard that, and it would impact a bunch of flights that are decent moneymakers for AC (YYC-YHZ & YMM-YYT come to mind) given the much shorter range of E90 (2200 vs 2700 for the 320). Having said that you're argument for op-costs is probably right and passenger comfort with the 2x2 seating is amazing.

Were they to do it, it would need to be in combination with adding permanent domestic wide-bodies for things like the red-eyes and long transcons.

DanJ likes this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such an initiative would be costly and defeat the purpose of saving $$$

DanJ likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    With loads up AC would require more Embraers to cover off the Airbuses which would mean more pilots and FAs the cost of which would offset any fuel cost savings. Furthermore, AC's Airbuses have been amortized and paid off so their capital costs are minimal, even to any leasing company these planes may be owned by. Wouldn't put much credence in these rumours. Also, since these planes only have 9 J seats they would create a disincentive for customers to buy Latitude fares and passes knowing upgrades would be minimal.

DanJ and milchap like this.
  6. I tihnk AC now believes thye made a mistake in shortening the J section on the 319/320 series as thye are selling more latitude passes and more full/discounted J on popular routes like YYZ/YYC and YYZ/YVR among others.

In fact they are brainstorming on the 787 seating now and are thinking about more J than less on thos enew birds. They will have different J seat configurations than the current ones on the 777's and 763's.

DanJ likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Bombardier's C-series might be able to fill (most of) this role, but the current E-jets are simply too small to replace the A319/A320/A321 series. A more likely scenario would be A320 neo series for lower fuel costs.

DanJ and milchap like this.
  8. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I overheard about Bombardier as well for replacing the main YVR-YYZ which some of the schedule currently using A320/A321.

DanJ likes this.
  9. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    There may be a home for the A319s at the discount brand

DanJ likes this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be very surprised if the CASM for the 319/320 were higher than E175/190 - other than the fact that some of the Airbuses are 20+ years old, so would require more maintenance. Many AC routes require more capacity and/or longer range than the Embraers offer. I too could see them going for the C-series except that they will be spending billinos on 787's so may lack capital needed to replace the narrow body fleet. They may wait until Boeing and Airbus develop their next generation of narrow bodies for around 2020.

DanJ, milchap, rehoult and 1 other person like this.
  11. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    No more herringbones?

DanJ likes this.
  12. Certainly not the in the same config...there will be side by side seats for those who want to sit together. the rest is undecided

CdnFlier, DanJ, unclepants and 2 others like this.
  13. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some side by side seating would be quite nice, along having some choice or ability to sit alone is pretty important as well!

DanJ likes this.
  14. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One would suppose that the new AC*EF would be like the US Airways and new CX versions (which allow 2 to "sit" together). I also like the staggered type that is on ANA and Etihad....I don't like the type that is on TK (new) as you might have to high jump over your neighbour if seated at the window !

DanJ likes this.
  15. nighthawk
    Original Member

nighthawk Silver Member

Status Points:
    New CO is nice in that it is finally true lie-flat... not so nice in that your legs fit into a tiny square cubbyhole at the bottom on the window seat which makes it difficult to sleep sideways.