Is it too perverse to admit we like UA J even on the sUA 772?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redtailshark, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this will be a controversial claim. Far more so than noting that DL SM is [​IMG] best in class [​IMG] :)

The rear-facing seats in the sUA 772 J-cabin, in one of the rows of 2 adjoining the windows, are really quite decent accommodation. And obviously the top deck of the 744 is a nice eyrie.

Despite the narrow width, the length of the seat is good, it lies flat, the noise-cancelling headsets work well and the AVOD I find really excellent in size and choice. More so than most other carriers. The food isn't bad. The wine not so good and the service is hit or miss, I agree, but good international UA crews can hold their own against almost any others.

After flying this configuration a number of times, I'm not even sure that I prefer the ex-CO herringbone six-abreast BF fit.

I am factoring in accessibility from my viewpoint. SQ J on the 380/77W is better, without doubt, but SQ has no upgrade instrument comparable to UA's GPU and so for me, the UA system works well. I don't begrudge buying the W-up fares for this benefit, out of pocket, so UA wins as well.

2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Jeff appreciates your praise.

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew LAX-NRT-LAX on a 772 in J. I thought the width was fine - a bit better at the window seats because of the gap between the seat and the wall -- if you use that space on an aisle seat you're going to get hit by a cart. But I got a solid 7-8 hours of sleep.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it sure beats the heck out of economy! :p

Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fine with both sUA and sCO lie-flat C. Beats angled or barco lounger
    I wish the area under the footwell were considered storage on sUA like it is on sCO and I really don't understand the distinction.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I have a GPU applied for my IAD-FRA flight in three weeks!

hulagrrl210 and sobore like this.