Is it time to start talking about GS2012?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by viguera, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not even sure if it's going down this year, but if it is, we're about 4 weeks out based on previous promos.

Me and the wife did very well last year and I'm really looking forward to this rather easy way to pad my balance. :)

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was gearing up for it also (making sure my emiles and erwards accts were topped up), but I am worried it may not be offered this year. :(

I missed out on the max last year, a couple of hits were denied/late but I had mapped it out to be more efficient if it does get offered again.

daninstl and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My e-miles account is ready, and the magazine subscriptions I signed up for last year are expiring -- and they keep reminding me. :)

I'm planning my hotel stays as well, which is the most expensive part of the entire process, as the HLE near me has my car rentals covered for under $30 a hit.

The only concern of course would be that this is all for naught, and I don't think they'll make the same mistake as last year of leaving a webpage prepped and exposed with the stuff for this year.

daninstl and canucklehead like this.
  4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of us are holding are breath waiting for a sign of life on this one. There have been some semi-encouraging emails or twitter responses from US Airways when people ask about the GS, but there have also been some bad signs as well. I'm ready to bust out with a GS2012 Happy Dance anytime they want to announce it...if they announce it.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    is there an official GS2012 Happy Dance? if I video me doing it, do you think it will count as a hit! :p

sent a tweet to US Airways asking about #GrandSlam2012

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    e-rewards is quite easy to top off doing surveys, but e-miles is another story. I'm barely over 300 miles after a year. I'll have to donate something to get to 500 is there's a GS this year.

You guys don't actually top it off just doing surveys do you?

canucklehead likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    e-miles has a few "partners" like groupon or itunes that you can use to "top off" your account if you absolutely must. It's not cheap but if you're 100 miles shy and you don't feel like waiting then you can buy a $50 groupon and call it a day.

canucklehead likes this.
  8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made a couple donations to a company that provides food to children to his my 500. Don't have time for surveys right now. They often have US flags that provide a ton of miles, too.

daninstl and canucklehead like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there was a 12 issue subscription to the Economist for $12 that gave 700 points. Its on my e-miles account right now but I am already above 500 miles.

free67spirit, viguera and mtlfire like this.
  10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saved that one just in case as it seemed quite cheap. Not sure if they take Canadian addresses, so someone might get a random subscription to the Economist :cool:

viguera and canucklehead like this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have another 6mo on my subscription and the last few issues have ended up in my condo library as I have not had time to read it!

Still, its the best miles ratio out there right now!

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah E-miles seems slow this year so far. It used to take me like 3 months per 500 miles and now it's more like 6 months, maybe.
    E-rewards seems to be getting better but it just takes forever to do the surveys. It is so frustrating to get 20 questions into a survey and they bump you out on some profile question saying you aren't the targeted demographic. Suggestion...why don't they ask me those questions first before asking my sex, age, income, etc. etc. Save me some time.:cool:

aviator8 and canucklehead like this.
  13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    As they get some free info from you :D . I've been bumped a few times after spending like 15 minutes in the survey. I read on a web site that if you e-mail you they will credit you, but I can't be bother to run after it.

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW people do keep up with your blog, so don't slack up... :)

canucklehead likes this.
  15. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't intend to slack up....just not much else I can post about the GS until we know if it is happening or not. ;)

jwsky, mtlfire and canucklehead like this.
  16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to talk about it when we don't know what changes they've made if it's going to happen .... there were a few easy hits last year and I hope that they stick around if it returns.

17. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or when they ask you 10-15 demographic questions , then start the survey and ask you the same 10-15 questions. Really? come on, can't you get the technical savvy to make that work without making me re answer the same questions.

daninstl likes this.
  18. iang000

iang000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree these surveys are often redundant and contain bad links as well as many errors, but the alternative is to actually pay for stuff you don't need, so I go with the surveys.

viguera likes this.
  19. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump! Any word on this? I would expect something in another week or two (I hope).

20. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they are too busy trying to merge with AA :)

Sean Colahan and IPBrian like this.
  21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that sadly if we don't hear anything by the end of next week chances are that we won't see another contest this year. Even if the US Airways website people are on top of their game this year and nothing has leaked, chances are that if it's going down this year they will do registration 2 weeks before it starts, which should be mid September.

The only thing I could see is if they push it this year again. GS 2010 started 9/1 and GS 2011 started 9/14, so it's possible.

22. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would not surprise me if US is trying to save their pennies for a takeover bid. I don't know how much the GS promotion costs each year, but I imagine it's a pretty penny and an expense they may be looking at with more scrutiny...

That's entirely possible, and hopefully they do something. I didn't get a whole lot of hits last year, but it is enough to commit my *A flights to US to build to an award ticket. I like building awards while I'm on the ground.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  23. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not looking good for 2012. Since this is a baseball themed event you would imagine it would have to start soon plus a couple weeks of preregistration. Maybe they don't want to do it because it will cost too much to redeem the US Airways miles on AA flights in 2013 :p

Sean Colahan, viguera and daemon14 like this.
  24. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is killing me...I had so much fun last year with it, I can't image US kept this good a lid on things, but perhaps they took a page from the Apple book this year and are trying to work me into a frenzy!

daninstl and viguera like this.
  25. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondering when I'll pull the plug and turn in all my e-rewards, e-miles, etc. I have some that expire soon so I can't sit on them forever.