Is it time to fly paid F on BA? vs LX F

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by redtailshark, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been 20 years since I've inhabited a BA F cabin. But now I've bought some paid BA F and paid LX F. On the same day. NRT-LHR/ZRH-(IAD)-YUL.

Yes. You know :) Here's the problem. I can't fly both of these so I must decide.

So. I need the Star miles but I admit that the Avios aren't entirely useless. I don't know if LX F is going to be similar to BA F in terms of quality etc.

I admit that I am tempted to fly BA F just to meet some BA staff, some Nigels/Nigellas and other BA apologists and to rant in the F lounge @ LHR, post Dilbertian pictures and things like that. But perhaps the Star miles trump all....

2. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Huge Tier Points. In fact if I fly this on BA I'd make BA Bronze maybe even Silver depending on other EU travel! Hahaha! Ah, it's so almost worth doing just for that reason.

3. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Heh! Now LX have cxld unilaterally. Still holding my JL-ticketed BA F reservation. To the DoT, follow the now well-worn path from RGN Round 1 extravaganza...

4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    given some of the terrible F reviews I have seen over on FT for BA, no chance would I spend a dime on it. some of the slop they serve for breakfest in the CCR...the eggs look like something worse than even the cheapest of dinners.

5. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had some lovely lobster tail a couple of nights ago to be fair..........didnt have the breakfast
    but looked ok over in 2K........

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've flown both within the last year and here's the deal - both wonderful. Each time it was on miles which is now much easier to do on BA - so I'm glad I was able to do Lufthansa before they changed their availability.

Both cabins are wonderful. We've been blessed with wonderful crews on the Lufthansa flight and each of our 8 trips on BA First. The Concorde Lounge in London is really wonderful but there's not much that can top the Lufthansa Frankfurt lounges and separate terminal.

So if I had to choose - tough choice! I'd go for the one I haven't done to check one more thing off the bucket list! But really, either way you'll have a ball. We on MP and FT tend to be snobs - and mostly for trips that are free!

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LX = Swiss, not Lufthansa (LH). I haven't flown LH F, but I have done LX F, and it is great. Unfortunately, they are canceling the ex-RGN fares and have shut down award access, so not as easy to fly.

8. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great post......!! An honest and pretty accurate report in my experience....

9. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying on an LX A330-300 you get their new F seat. Given your milage needs and alliance priorities, I'd probably choose this over BA if the schedule works well (ie no more than 3 hour lay-over).

However if you on a LX A340 you will be on old F. This is not as good. Coupled with fewer flights / connection back up - Id go back to BA then.

As Steven said - both are good. I've really enjoyed with both carriers. I generally prefer the seat, service and wine on BA - not to mention the convenience of direct flights. But IMO the food on LX is the best in the industry.

However - it is still airline food. In the overall scheme of things I don't weight food as heavily as some on these boards. I love the idea that some actively avoid an airline because of breakfast! Who cares about breakfast?! Im still trying to sleep at that point in a flight. You can eat when you land!

10. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Well, first LX pulled the plug and now BA have voided their F sector as well. Despite the JL-plate, IB-codeshared sector, I know it was BA because the other CSR's told me it was nothing to do with their airlines, but the two BA CSRs independently confirmed it. Interestingly, only the NRT-LHR F sector vanished from BA.COM but of course, after that, the ticket gradually collapses because the other segments won't verify against the missing one.

So now to the ramparts, against BA and LX. How apt! I couldn't have chosen more apt adversaries out of the IATA members' catalog. It's only just beginning. And with an F-fare too, which massively increases the compensation for which plaintiffs can file. I can't wait! This will give spice to the next few months :p

11. redtailshark

Status Points:
    So now BA have reinstated my F-sector...the day that I received a request from CS for the itin info in response to an official DoT request. The content and tone of the emails from CS were quite different before and after this contact.

At first: "Contact your TA, they have legal ownership of this ticket." If so, then BA acted "illegally" by voiding a sector they themselves claimed was owned by another entity.... :confused:

A shame that BA feels the need and the justification to illegally void issued tickets - that's truly a Dilbertian strategy of old and invites enforcement actions. If it had gone to SCC they were going to lose and be hit by damages for a replacement F itin. KE lost all their ROR actions under identical circumstances and they were for less valuable Y itins. I don't get to go to SCC now and extract a replacement :rolleyes:

Some will claim wisdom has prevailed - but then, wisdom would have meant not voiding these tickets in the first case and thereby inviting regulatory enforcement.

Now I still need to deal with LX. At least in their case their voiding was utterly brazen and they have taken full responsibility. I must wait for CTA's response to this.